[demo] guitar expression demo no.1 (mp3)

Started by TheEagle, March 07, 2010, 17:07:29

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEagle

Hi everybody.

Currently I'm trying to learn a technique to add some more expression to my guitars.
Here is a first try:

guitar expression demo no.1

What do you think?

apple-joe

I like it very much, maybe the note choice is the most crucial factor. The slide towards the end was nice, and some unexpected notes. However, I don't know whether I'd characterize the playing itself as particularly expressive? I expected more vibrato and more slides, maybe more harmonics of various sorts?

Listening for the 10th time in a row or so now, and I just heard something that reminded of of harmonics, but it is difficult to verify due to fairly low pitch.

A final aspect is the approach itself. While the playing is good, enjoyable, pleasant to the ear, I expected a more aggressive general approachsince expressiveness was emphasized explicitly.

I look forward to more uploads of such guitar music (hopefully not in vain).

uncloned

I like the slide - especially the first one.

I don't know if seeing me play would help or not.

http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3791.0

TheEagle

Quote from: "apple-joe"I don't know whether I'd characterize the playing itself as particularly expressive? I expected more vibrato and more slides, maybe more harmonics of various sorts?
Maybe "expression/expressive" is the wrong term here. I just added some bending, vibrato, slides and muting(?) here and there in order to let the guitar sound more...uhmm...'vital'. It's the first time I ever did something like this (except for the slides) and -of course- I need much more practice.
And since this was my first try, I didn't want to do too much....
Quote from: "apple-joe"
I look forward to more uploads of such guitar music (hopefully not in vain).
You can be sure, when I'm learning something new, I always try to use it in the following songs of mine. But unfortunately life and work keeps me very busy, so there not much time for making music right now. I hope that will change after Easter.
Quote from: "uncloned"
I don't know if seeing me play would help or not.
Thank you for the hint, Mr Uncloned, very kindly. But I think this could only help if I would learn how to play a real guitar.

Thank you both for listen and the comments....

uncloned

if you mean to emulate real guitar playing it could be relevant.

TheEagle

I'm watching the video right now (great song, btw) and I'm not sure if so many nuances can be implemented (or better: if I could implement them), but I'll work on it... :wink:

apple-joe

I listened again, and I checked out uncloned's clip. Having in mind the clips linked here, uncloned's playing seemed more expressive in my view, primarily due to a less staccato general style. The vibrato was more emphasized, legato approaches used significantly and several double-stops or momentarily dissonant bends were included.

That said, I enjoyed Eagle's playing today also. The slides were certainly nice, as were the bends. Maybe the issue is just that there should be even more of it?

uncloned

Quote from: "TheEagle"
Thank you for the hint, Mr Uncloned, very kindly. But I think this could only help if I would learn how to play a real guitar.

Thank you both for listen and the comments....

Well, you know, if you mean to imitate *any* instrument it starts with understanding what is characteristic for that instrument.

For instance using large pitch bends or 2 or more notes at the same time would not be suitable for say solo clarinet or solo flute. BUT the electronics will often allow you to violate what would be physically possible for the instrument of interest.

There are of course stylistic differences - however those are within the realm of what is possible for the instrument, not outside, if realism is the goal.

That being said there is *no* reason to have fidelity to realism. It is a matter of taste and choice. There would be something to be said for a composition that had say a very good imitation of an instrument that establishes an expectation in the mind of the listener and then the realism is violated in order to create drama or some other compositional goal.

In keeping with Sam's MUX concept - you have the choice and control - there is not a "right way" when it comes to composing electronic music. At one time there was established a "right way" to sing and to play acoustic instruments - I believe this was to provide a (potentially) loud and consistent sound for time when composers needed to focus on notes and expected a certain sound from every instruments which they heard in their head and subsequently wrote down the notes for. In our time the advent of recording lets more unique events be captured and reproduced without the learning curve of each possible influence and inflection of style and method.

I hope that was a little understandable.

Sam_Zen

Before I started the track, I didn't want to focus on the question whether the guitar 'imitation' succeeds or not.

So more about the sound itself..

The attack is quite appropriate with that typical short disturbed sound.
But then, the sustain is far too equal, just one sound is going on till the next strike. No audible kind of decay at the end.
This suggests a situation of strong feedback, on the edge of distortion. But this sound is a bit too 'thin' for that.
Only in the final notes it gets more 'body'.

Vibrato and slides are indeed useful means for expression, like pronouncing a word more emphasized, or as punctuation.
But these things are effects, so should be used very consciously and only when it makes sense.
When you tell a story, and every word is emphasized, it will soon get pretty boring, or loose its impact.

TheEagle

Quote from: "Apple-Joe"That said, I enjoyed Eagle's playing today also.
Thank you, but I think it's more "programming" than "playing"... :wink:

Quote from: "uncloned"I hope that was a little understandable.
Yes, I think it was.

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"....but these things are effects, so should be used very consciously and only when it makes sense.
Yep, exactly my philosophy.

Thanks for the feedback, Sam.

apple-joe

Thank you, but I think it's more "programming" than "playing"... :wink:
I actually missed that fact. Well, you did not explicitly write that you played. Nevertheless, I should have thought about it. The piece did indeed sound very disciplined.

I did after all immediately emphasize your note choice, so again: nicely composed.

TheEagle

Quote from: "apple-joe"
Thank you, but I think it's more "programming" than "playing"
I actually missed that fact. Well, you did not explicitly write that you played.
Well, I wrote relatively often in various topics here on the forum, that I never learned how to play an instrument (I'm just a skilled "air-guitar"-player :wink:). So, I thought that there was no need to point it out again.
You have not really thought the guitar was a "real played" guitar , have you?

apple-joe

I think that's exactly what I just imagined as I listened to the music, Eagle. That it was played, as opposed to tracked.

More to come soon?

TheEagle

Quote from: "apple-joe"I think that's exactly what I just imagined as I listened to the music, Eagle. That it was played, as opposed to tracked.
Then, apple-joe, I have to thank you again, because this is the greatest compliment that one can give me. It means to me that I'm at least one step closer to my personal (musical) goal...
Quote from: "apple-joe"More to come soon?
As I wrote above: unfortunately I have no time for composing at the moment. Probably after Easter...