[Dance/Spacesynth] Blue Light (.mp3)

Started by Oliwerko, March 01, 2010, 19:11:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliwerko

So I've made another dance-track and tried to get that spacesynth feel. I wanted to try out some basic techniques I haven't before (cutoff sweeps, etc.).

http://oliwerko.ic.cz/Oliver%20Meres%20-%20Blue%20Light.mp3

I also experimented with additional speech lines referring to the wild parties I visited at my friend's place. They may not be the best, but they give it a soul.

The 'blue light' is the famous lighting of the friend's room produced by three extra wide glass shelves he uses to store alcohol on, which are lighted by blue neon lights.

I will be glad for any feedback, and am curious of wheter the speech lines actually fit the song or not at all, and if they are decipherable. (I left them there despite wanting to remove them, when all of my friends said I should leave them there because they fit and are OK. And they give the song a meaning - or at least puzzle the listener.)

Enjoy!
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

Rakib

The voice works.

And the songs is simple and easy to listen to.  Nothing special.

But 2 remarks:
The clap was too high pitched and the lack of hihats.
^^

Oliwerko

Thanks for feedback!

I wanted it simple and easy having the awful cutting sessions of "In the morning air" still in mind.

The lack of hihats is intentional, I didn't feel they would be fitting.
And the claps, hmm, I'll see and try some others, but it sounded fine to me.
I am afraid of murder.

Rakib

The clap itself is fine, but maybe change the pitch from maybe c5 to g4 and see if it sounds better.
^^

TheEagle

Not my kind of music, but I like the voices and the choice of instruments. I think the claps are working fine and I don't miss any hats. The melody is quite simple but when it's intentionally it is ok to me...

I like especially this "breath-alike-synth" in the song's introduction. May I ask which vsti it is? Is it a vsti?

Oliwerko

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Thinking about it, I guess the melody could be more complicated; but I didn't feel the urge to make it that way. The main issues were related to choosing good sounds (I tried at least two dozen of bells there :P)

And yes, this song is VST only, actually reFX Nexus only (except the voices which are only reverbed, and the noise effect). I fell in love with the synth, it has really a great sound, although it takes away the feeling of 'creating' the sound patch from scratch.
I am afraid of murder.

Sam_Zen

Quote..the melody could be more complicated; but I didn't feel the urge to make it that way
Maybe you should, because so far, it's just a bit too much predictable.

Oliwerko

Is it an issue? I mean, would making the melody more complicated (and thus - faster) help? Or should I add OVER the existing melodies? I'm not sure which way to go here; it sounded fine to me.
I am afraid of murder.

Saga Musix

Since when does making a melody less predictable / "complicated" make it faster?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Oliwerko

I knew it doesn't always, but I know myself and I also know that trying to alter these melodies would probably make them faster...
I am afraid of murder.

Sam_Zen

If you mean faster because there are more notes in a bar, yes.
Is more notes a guarantee for a more interesting melody ? no.

Let me put it different : Maybe this piece just lacks a real melody.

Instruments playing in the higher region doesn't mean automatically 'the' melody of the song.
If it strictly follows the same chords as those instruments in the lower spectrum, it stays part of the accompaniment.
In this case the only 'melody' element is the vocal part.

uncloned

my first impression

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZcCxRDtTyM

I agree, more variation would be good - there are some basic melodies here but I don't find them particularly compelling outside of the one that sounds Mike Oldfield-ish.

Variations to a melody does not mean more notes, that is just one option. But proper variation can make your melody memorable by building and releasing tension which can impart feeling.

Please read this excerpt from a freshman college level music course.

http://www.erikscull.com/portfolio/assets/flash/variationswcopland.html

Oliwerko

Again, I have to thank you all for help and time, I value it greatly.

Now I see the Exorcist Theme connection. Funny, never thought of the similarity...

The excerpt was very helpful.

I'll see what I can do. Again, the fight with myself not being able to alter a 'finished' song begins...
I am afraid of murder.

TheEagle

Quote from: "Oliwerko"Again, the fight with myself not being able to alter a 'finished' song begins...
Well, it is completely up to you if you'll do this, of course. But I think if I were you, I would leave the song like it is because (in my philosophy) every song that you create marks a special point in you musical development. A "milestone", so to speak.
Every time I publish a song here, I read the comments/suggestions very carefully and I always try to follow the (mostly) valuable advices in some of my future projects. But I always leave the initial song untouched, because this song represents the actual state of my musical abilities.
And one day, when your list of songs is grown, it could be an interesting experience when you (and others of course) listen to your older songs and see/hear the progress you have made over time...

However, I hope you understand what I was trying to say despite my bad English. Just wanted to share some thoughts about "altering a finished song".

Greetings
TheEagle

Oliwerko

Well, usually despite my efforts I leave the song as it was anyway, because I don't like the changes, or don't come up with any suitable changes at all.

The point is I want to try at least, to learn as much from the song as I can. I will then remember the songs' weak points better.
I am afraid of murder.