Friday Night Open Mic Smoke n Whiskey Blues

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily20100226-strat-fri-blues.mp3

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily20100226-strat-fri-blues.ogg

Year: 2010

Album:
lo fi crap from the other world

Artist's description:
I felt like rockin' - I dunno why

been a while - my finger is getting better.

2 strat copy takes, 1 bass take, session drummer 3

and don't forget...

Oliwerko

Although I'm not much into this kind of music, I have to say I'm very impressed.

It has a very nice sound and atmosphere. And what I admire is your ability to come up with a non-repeating melody that lasts for more than 7 minutes and doesn't sound boring.
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

uncloned

well thanks for the listen and comment.

Improvisation is something that can be learned.

You need to not be afraid to make mistakes
And to try to take advantage of the mistakes you do make.

Obviously improvising is easier in non-complex tonal music like this is.

and to be honest - in high school friends would have a party and we'd play for beers - after some hours all the material was long exhausted so we'd just make up music  - only better than this imho.

so we all learned to improvised.

The lesson of course is that beer is a great incentive to learn music....

Sam_Zen

Cool, clones ! Raw Smoke n Whiskey Blues right on.
Maybe here and there, as timing is concerned, you are too much strict 'on' the beat, instead of keeping it 'layed back'.

Quote from: "Oliwerko"..to come up with a non-repeating melody that lasts for more than 7 minutes and doesn't sound boring
Quite a peculiar point of view. So a repeating melody for 7 minutes wouldn't have the chance of being boring ?
No offend, but it seems like you're really not familiar with 'this kind of music'.
This is plain, basic blues and this is called a 'solo' and it's not supposed to play some precomposed melody.
It's an improvisation based on the order of chords of this blues.

uncloned

thanks for the listen and comment Sam!

I enjoyed playing it more than usual. I should take a video of me doing it sometime as I suspect my guitar faces are really quite funny to see :-)

Oliwerko

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
So a repeating melody for 7 minutes wouldn't have the chance of being boring ?
This is plain, basic blues and this is called a 'solo' and it's not supposed to play some precomposed melody.
It's an improvisation based on the order of chords of this blues.

I was pointing at the fact that something that's 7 minutes long is both non-repetitive AND not boring, which is not easy achieved and is done - like you say - by improvisation here. It would definitely be harder to make a repetitive melody lasting 7 minutes enjoyable all through. My point simply was that there's very much music information in there (as opposed to 'repeating' pieces). And that's hard to achieve from my POW. Now the fact I never been trying to improvise much is another story.
I am afraid of murder.

uncloned

A good way to improvise is to set up a chord progression and pick up your instrument.

Part of the reason I do so much melodically is the the underlying chord progressions shift around. Otherwise it would be more difficult to be invetive - not impossible - just more difficult.

Here is another exercise - and one I like a lot.

Set up a drone and play against that on your woodwind. It s a great way to "feel" intervals and voice leading.

I was impressed when I saw Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin with a Hurdy Gurdy in Song Remains the Same (perhaps the best part of otherwise an uninspiring film imho)

That is the ultimate western drone instrument.

Oliwerko

Thanks for hints.

So far the only 'improvisation' I've tried was adding to an existing melody, varying and altering it, but that's associated more with normal 'playing' rather than 'improvisation'.
I am afraid of murder.