1.18.00.?? tempo bug when open a midi

Started by Didi, May 31, 2010, 23:22:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Didi

( Sorry for my very bad english, I am not english-speaking. )

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.54  ( Why is there written 1.18 ? I did not find any 1.18 on the site... )

Description of the bug:When I open a midi file, instead of using its tempo, it sets 240BPM and quantify notes... This is a serious problem, because the songs, while ok it plays at right speed, is quantified on a 240BPM grid, then has timing problem and sounds like when a child starts to learn how to play piano...

How often does it happen?:Everytime I import a midi, which is all time because the reason why I use OpenMPT is to convert my musics made in Cubase to mods for games.

How to reproduce (step by step description): Open, then choose a midi file.

By the way, when I import a midi, my mod is automaticaly an IT mod, while I want a MOD mod. And if I go to Song Properties to turn it into a MOD, the conversion makes it sound really weird... I do not find how to make it import the midi directly as MOD instead of IT, isn't it possible ?

Rakib

1.18.02 can be downloaded here:
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3951.0
It should help on your mod-issues, about midi I don't know.
^^

Saga Musix

Well, it's a well-known fact that modplug has poor midi import. Applications like mid2xm are more reliable.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Didi

Thanks. 1.18.02 works better here. My music does not anymore have any timing problem.

Thanks I'll try midtoxm.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Didi"Thanks. 1.18.02 works better here. My music does not anymore have any timing problem.
Sorry, but none of the MIDI code has been changed. Your MIDI import configuration has just most likely been returned to default values which you might have changed to the worse before.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Didi

Yes, I messed with the settings... :oops:

Saga Musix

Also, concerning your "MOD problems", well, there is not much what can be done. OpenMPT supports 4 classic mod formats for a reason. If they all had the same feature set, there would be no need for several formats. But amond the supported formats, MOD is the least powerful format. For example (and this is what makes your music sound "strange") there is a very limited note range, and all samples have the same C-5 frequency + finetune (resulting in a frequency of about 8KHz). Of course you will lose a lot of information when converting from IT (which is a feature-rich format) to MOD (which is a very limited format). Converting MIDI to MOD just does not make a lot of sense. Afterall, the MOD format typically just allows 4 channels to be used, while most other formats support more channels. If you are going to write a 32chn MOD, that just does not make sense. If your MOD player can handle 32chn MODs, it should also support 16chn XMs.

Didi

Ok. I wanted to stick with .mod only because I code my games in AS3 and the only AS3 mod player I found accepts only .mod and nothing else. I don't find any .it player for AS3, and I am not yet good enough to code one myself.

Saga Musix

Argh, ActionScript - well I think there is at least one XM player for AS, but I'm not too sure. Converting MIDI to MOD is really not a great idea, though - Starting right with the MOD format and not doing any conversions will bring up the least surprises.

Rakib

This supports also xm-files
http://realm.badsectoracula.com/fmp/

Quote....This version contains, among others, support for MODs of variable channel size (from 1 to 99), support for stereo playback, initial support for XM modules...
^^

Saga Musix

The last time I checked FMP doesn't support arbitrary loop points, but that might not be too much of an issue...