Just want to make sure....

Started by oxxi, February 08, 2010, 23:41:07

Previous topic - Next topic

oxxi

but, how many computer keys can OMPT handle at the same time when trying to play chords with the computer keyboard? I think I remember being able to do more maybe, but now I can only do 2 or three at most. Can someone confirm this for me. Thanks  :)
////

jmkz

Me too, but I think that this is an overflow when pressing some keys, many internal commands at the same time of the keyboard :?:. I don't kwnow really.  :oops:

Sam_Zen

All valid keys can be pressed and heard, at the same time afaik.
But don't count on a proper representation when writing like that in the pattern.

oxxi

hmm, I wonder what the difference is between your setup and mine. I want some more input from people. I don't think I'm alone on this.
////

Rakib

From the earliest version till now with windows 7, more than 2 finger. tried with 8 fingers now. Both in samples and intrument window.
^^

oxxi

well here are some chords that I can't play at the same time with the computer keyboard... for some reason.

c5# d5# d4#

a5 b5 d6 e6

There are more combinations, I just put these as an example. Also I'm using the Fast tracker keyboard layout, I dunno if that has anything to do with it.
////

oxxi

well I can't figure this one out. I tried using different keymaps, etc.  but get the same results. Anybody have an idea of what could be wrong?
////

psishock

yep, i know this one really well. Its hardware issue, the way "average" keyboard matrix circuits are designed.

You may want to google and read up "keyboard ghosting". A good solution would be to get a keyboard that is engineered without this handicap.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

oxxi

Damn, your good! I would have never of guessed that one. Well I'm kinda screwed for now, until I get a new laptop without this handicap cause I don't like using midi keyboards.
////

Saga Musix

Thank you psishock, for finally posting facts, and not assumptions...
You might want to read this wikipedia article (if you haven't found it via google already) and consider buying a n-rollover keyboard (however, they're rare and expensive AFAIK). :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Indeed. If you're looking for a keyboard that has this, you might want to look into a gamers keyboard. Games often require 3 or more keys to be pressed simultaneously. Additionally, I think PS/2 design can actually have a limit. I am not entirely sure, but I believe I learned about this in college. So USB would be the way to go.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Actually, PS/2 shouldn't impose any limits there. Some really good n-rollover keyboards even have a DIN plug (not the new ones, obviously).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

oxxi

From what I've found is that the USB protocol can only support up to 6 key rollover, and if you want full n-key rollover, you have to use a ps/2 adapter(lame). It looks like my chances of getting a laptop with full n-key support are slim to none. It's 2010 dammit! All keyboards should have this ability. :x .... All these stupid companies with their "it's cheaper" B.S. Well I'm thinking of just getting that nano keyboard thing or just dealing with it. I just don't like having all these cables around me, annoying. Thanks for all the input!
////

Saga Musix

I doubt that you'll get full n-key rollover in laptops anytime soon. Even when working on the laptop (and that's my main machine),  I still use my good old keyboard, but that one's not n-key rollover as well. but i can use two keyboards at the same time then, which helps a bit with the jamming!

LPChip

Quote from: "cytrek"From what I've found is that the USB protocol can only support up to 6 key rollover, and if you want full n-key rollover, you have to use a ps/2 adapter(lame). It looks like my chances of getting a laptop with full n-key support are slim to none. It's 2010 dammit! All keyboards should have this ability. :x .... All these stupid companies with their "it's cheaper" B.S. Well I'm thinking of just getting that nano keyboard thing or just dealing with it. I just don't like having all these cables around me, annoying. Thanks for all the input!

Are you sure? My Logitech G15 keyboard (USB) has 8 keys.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs