[Symphonic Rock/Waltz] Crying for Love (.mp3/ytube)

Started by LPChip, January 31, 2010, 23:17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

While trying out to work more with SF2 files, I created this Symphonic Rock song. I'm very happy with the result and very much would like to share it with everyone. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I've posted this on YouTube, but you can also download the mp3.

Length: 5:45
Style: Symphonic Rock/Waltz (sound:rock, rhythm: waltz)

If you have a youtube account, I would like it very much if you can vote for me there.

Also, feedback is appreciated. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

Hi LP

I don't see where the title and the music match... but beyond that very nice.

I rated you on YT

apple-joe

I always forget to experiment with the waltz rhythm, I tend to go with the regular "kick - snare - snare". There is no snare on the third beat in this track, and it reminds me of how much a simple detail matters sometimes. For the better, in this case, I think. The entire piece sounds very harmonic. The following is rather unusual coming from me - I most often suggest the opposite - but there might have been some sounds that could have been a little louder. Not sure if it would be better, yet it could be worth checking.

Third listen or so now. I maintain that the percussion works good. Maybe monotonous to a certain extent, but I like it. As mentioned, there is an undeniable harmonic atmosphere, as evidenced by the lead. However, I must also add that there might be a lack of a melody, lead with more spark, vitality or how to describe it. I noticed already on first listen the change towards the end, modulation to a close key signature? I've become skeptical of such moves, particularly if it's just a modulation with nothing new, it tends to represent a symptom of uninspiration. Not certain that it's fair to criticise this track, since there might have been something new involved.

Fifth or sixth listen now. A clear, positive factor is my interpretation that the music displays compositional skills. Nothing eccentric, but very satisfying to the ear. Which brings me to a negative aspect. At least as I judge it right now. It is almost a bit too smooth, maybe a part to add friction could have worked? Then again, it could have destroyed what the rest of the song has built up. How about a solo of some kind with a new (hopefully more lively sounding) instrument somewhere in there?

LPChip

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. :)

I can actually explain 2 different questions by one answer here. :)

The reason why I gave the song the name Crying for Love, is because that's an emotion I'm experiencing right now (sort of).

The idea of this song is to give it the feeling of missing something while still be in piece with it. For that reason I relied on repetition and on purposely didn't made big changes in the end. I have experienced with different drums and different sounds/leads in the end, but it just moved the piece away from that what I was trying to accomplish.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

apple-joe

I had to check out a few of your other tracks again in order to find out how accurate my judgement was. Well, I stand by my initial reaction. For instance, Kinetic Energy and Guitty Yess both sound more alive, but I suppose that could be explained to a far extent by referring to the manner in which the music was created. Of course, the rather smooth, frictionless tendency I wrote about could be approached or not regardless of exact composing method, but it's pointless to focus more on this since you had a clear idea (or sentiment) from which you channelled inspiration and got it how you wanted it.

I must thank you for creating this track, partly because it was well done, but primarily since it led me to Guitty Yess, really enjoyable. I downloaded some tracks a while ago, but didn't explore all at once.

LPChip

You're very much welcome :D

Guitty Yess ceratinly is a nice track and quite mature for what I was capable of then. Its one of the tracks that actually led me to grow beyond the limitations I had back then. (stuck in repetition)

Tony

I got to say its a very nice tune to listen to. Its nice to hear it after a long day at work, thanks man! :D

LPChip

KrazyKatz

:gjob:

Would be awesome to hear this by a band, or an orchestra or even both. First class construct!
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Pretty good for neomodern chiptunes! Interesting themes, good instrumentation and chord progressions, and the fact that its in 3/4 makes it stand out from the usual 4/4 rock type. Excellent song design, like Zelda meets Kurt Cobain! I guess if i had to make a criticism, uh, well, maybe the drums need some more variation with riffs. I guess.

Not sure i would put it into my background rotation, but it's obvious you still got the skills! This is very well designed and arranged.

LPChip

Thanks Harbinger :)

It wasn't designed to be a chiptune, so I find that part of your comment funny :)

psishock

yea, dark blue and black gives you a very nice contrast in ompt.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

mrvegas

LPChip