[prepared electric guitar] no title (mp3)

Started by uncloned, January 12, 2010, 17:17:43

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

A couple weeks ago I purchased my favorite prepared guitar device - round split shot sinkers - i.e. fishing weights! These would out nice because they are easy to use, removable, and provide sufficient weight to unmistakeably modulate the vibration of the string.

Here is an mp3 of an improvisation done with strings 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 prepared (see photo) and string 6 left normal.

http://micro.soonlabel.com/prepared-guitar/brushed-prepared-002.mp3

The improvisation is not the most impressive piece of music but it does serve as a demonstration of this modification. The tuning is a hybrid of 12 EDO and ring modulated alternate tuning pitches - and I don't know what the other pitches are at this point.

apple-joe

My impression based on the single clip is that the weights could serve a purpose every now and then when something alternative/a refreshing, new sound is desired, but it also sounded potentially tiresome over time. I'd need to explore more clips at any rate.

Also, what's 12 EDO tuning? 12 makes me think of an octave in this context, but that's it.

uncloned

Hi,

I agree with your assessment - unless one was going for a Gamelon sound a little of this goes a long way - until I can control it better - IF I can.

12 edo

12 Equal Divisions of the Octave

Which is the tuning system you are probably used to.

The extra notes you hear here are the result of a mechanical version of ring modulation (as best as I can figure out) - so.... A 440 +/- 100 Hz will give 340 and 540 Hz - both of which are not in the normal 12 edo tuning.

If you are interested in microtonal tuning I can give you a fair amount of information - starting which - the native format of OMPT allows for the use of any arbitrary alternate tuning. There is lots to explore here.

apple-joe

OK, I've experimented virtually nothing with microtuning etc. I should really look into this matter a little deeper in future, however, so I'll have your suggestion in mind.

Until that time, could you record another example or two perhaps? How would it sound combined with an approach to the guitar like that in your Swan Song? Alternatively an even more erratic solo of some kind?

uncloned

You might enjoy microtonality since you seem very harmonically orientated.

I enjoy harmony a great deal and I find the challenge to do it in microtonal tunings refreshing - it forces you to think differently.

I can see about doing a couple more examples. I went to the hardware store today and got more supplies to prepare my guitar with. And also my left ring finger has stopped hurting.

Are you asking about the leads or harmony in swan song?

I'm assuming leads since you next talk about an erratic solo.

apple-joe

Yes, primarily a distinctive solo of some sort, to demonstrate the weight effect on a setting at least partly contrasting what's already exposed.

uncloned

that will be difficult, not impossible to do.

Ring modulation makes what is considered to be "inharmonic" tones.

There are examples though - notably Jan Hammer of Mahavishnu Orchestra comes to mind - he used a ring modulator (by my ears) on his piano.

Let me see what I came up with - but tonight I'm working on another piece for a friend.

Sam_Zen