lead guitar
rhythm guitar
rhodes
organ
bass
drums

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily20091225-guitars-swan-song.mp3

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily20091225-guitars-swan-song.ogg

funny the stereo image changed when I exported it... odd.
but ok.

My apologies as I'm posting this at www.notonlymusic.com as well.

TheEagle

A happy new year, Mr. Uncloned.

Again you're presenting a song that's -from my point of view- much too good to call it "daily".
I like the sad mood and I enjoyed your soulful guitar-playing. But I think the song is -slightly- too long.

Nevertheless, you did a great job, Mr. Uncloned.

uncloned

and a happy new year to you as well Mr Eagle! Thanks for the listen and comment!

Re: "Daily" - at one point I was doing a song (or more) a day - usually improvisations. In this case the song came from an improvisation - I recorded the rhythm guitar against session 2 drummer - and in this case I actually did it twice. Then I added improvised lead guitar.  The other instruments were added via improvisation in a take or two excepting the drums which are midi and messed with a bit.

apple-joe

The beginning made me think of a Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden mixture. The approach is also somewhat reminiscent of a few Miles Davis tracks I've come across. All of this is very promising in my book. The guitar sounds quite relaxed, and it's got a non-mechanic touch that I think fits rather well. I'm currently listening a second time but I'll have to listen a few more times in order to identify the chord sequences. I think I heard a i - v movement, possibly followed by a VII chord, but I impulsively focused on the lead and missed the chord progression, probably.

I've tried to find a few guitar solos to learn tonight, and I am certainly no less motivated after listening to this.

EDIT: Eagle's comment reminded me of something I forgot to mention. I found the duration suitable, I was surprised by how quickly it was over. That's also how I tend to think about this style of music: if done nicely, why not let it last for a while.

uncloned

thanks for the listen.

the main progression is Em, Bm, D, Am.

interspersed with G, F#

Dm, Am

and it is most certainly non-mechanical :-)

psishock

If this is an improvisation, its a superb work. If not, its still great. =)
I dont mind the length, to be honest more longer pieces are helping me to dive more into the piece. I'm usually troubled in the beginning with unfamiliar genres, searching for familiar traits that i can cling on, but always gets better with the progression, as i start to understand the structure.

That animal looks quite depressed. :D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

Hi Psi, thanks for the listen and comment.

This was an improvisation - the rhythm guitar was attempted twice against drums, 2nd take, which was quite a bit different, accepted. Then I improvised lead guitar in 1 take - there was a bit of production work isolating the echoed notes from the solo.

Then the bass and keys were one pass each - but really quite simple as this is simple rock music - not hard to do so within my skills :-)

The drums, which are driven from a  midi track, are edited after the fact.

For the curious here is the original rhythm guitar track.

http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3639.0

first mp3 is it.