[Album] Reste (ogg)

Started by cubaxd, December 23, 2009, 12:24:44

Previous topic - Next topic

cubaxd

Hey@all. Long time no see.

Just dropping in to release my new classical album. Consider this my Christmas present to you :)
I've played one year on this album. Many tunes have been replaced by others during that time so that the end result contains few of the pieces I originally intended to add. But the others weren't that good anyway.
All song names are in German. Some of them contain ambiguity which I wouldn't be able to express in another language without running the risk of writing in an all-your-base style.

TOOLS USED:
* No Kiddie sequencers (those for €500 and up) were used ;) It's 100% ModPlug and VSTs (Ambience, KarmaFX Equalizer, dmiReverb, Classic EQ, Classic Flanger, Classic Compressor)
* Vorbis Tools (oggenc; for Ogg conversion)
* GIMP (for the cover)

ALBUM NAME: Reste
GENRE: Classical
FORMAT: OGG Vorbis, 2Ch, 44.1kHz, 256kb/s (var)
COVER: watch
ONLINE PLAYLIST: listen
ZIP ARCHIVE: download -- 84.1 MB

TRACKLIST:
01 anlasser -- 0:46 (1.2MB)
02 wer bist ich -- 3:15 (4.7MB)
03 dito -- 3:38 (5.8MB)
04 wieviel mensch braucht der markt -- 2:26 (3.9MB)
05 rettet den klimawandel -- 4:15 (5.9MB)
06 nanu das 3-volt-monster -- 2:44 (4.6MB)
07 radlose jetzt zugreifen -- 4:25 (6.4MB)
08 das gute wird siechen -- 2:31 (3.5MB)
09 insoweit -- 3:23 (4.1MB)
10 ein pott porree -- 3:16 (4.8MB)
11 aus der vergangenheit -- 1:58 (3.1MB)
12 mittwinter -- 2:39 (3.9MB)
13 insofern -- 2:41 (3.3MB)
14 zu tot zum sterben -- 1:35 (2.4MB)
15 laetitias spieldose -- 2:08 (4.2MB)
16 erinnerungen an nie erlebtes -- 15:25 (20MB)
17 absender verstorben -- 1:23 (2.0MB)
18 nanu in der ladestation -- 1:09 (1.9MB)

psishock

oh, a finished album, and classical music? That's rare here :D.
Well i've almost finished listening to it, and i found a lot of fun parts in most of the pieces. Cannot criticize the technical part, because i'm not really experienced with classical music, but i think it has enough variations and tension most of the time. The general mood is kinda chaotic, mostly i can hardly pick any melody or "riff" that i can cling on to, so i associated to it as a background "film" music, because it describes some scene, rather than telling a "story" (imho). I mostly find these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYecLvwOiVA kind of pieces more compatible with me.

Thanks for sharing with us, im sure it was a hell of a work putting these together.

QuoteNo Kiddie sequencers....
wha? :lol: those are for people, who want to make a really precise and modern/sharp sounding pieces, with tons of effects, settings, and dont want to mess much with additional VST plugins. Like some all around music production software packet. Most of them have embed synthesizers and stuff.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

cubaxd

Thanks a lot for listening

Quote from: "psishock"im sure it was a hell of a work putting these together.
Not really :)

Quote from: "psishock"I mostly find these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYecLvwOiVA kind of pieces more compatible with me.
Final Fantasy? That's totally awesome music. And so is the game :). They've used rather cheap samples on the PS1 but they've got a lot out of them.

Quote from: "psishock"wha? :lol:
No offense meant :-D I guess I'm like the hardcore Amiga users back in the late nineties who didn't want to admit that the PC matured to a much better computer over the years. But that didn't mean that one couldn't do lots of great things with the Amiga (as long as you knew how to do it) while most PC users with their high-end PCs didn't even know what their expansive machine was actually capable of. I think there is an analogy to Trackers vs. Cubase, FL, ...

Paul Legovitch

Hi, and thanks for the christmas present.
I enjoyed 05 rettet den klimawandel very much. I really loved the adding of jazz rhythms and scales in a style reminiscent of stravinsky's "the soldier's tale" for example.
The first part of 02 wer bist ich was also great : the tremolo violin sound is beautiful and the theme and harmony reminded me a bit of Janacek's string quartets. I also liked the short 17 absender verstorben, a very nice brass piece.

I must say I had the "background film music" impression too sometimes, mainly because of the celesta which is used a lot in movie scores.
What troubled me the most was the mix of chamber music samples with full orchestra samples, creating a non phono-realistic recording. While it's usually not a problem to mix all sorts of sounds in a track, classical music requires a more cohesive set of instruments recorded in similar conditions to create the illusion of a real performance.

The piano composition 09 insoweit is interesting (although I wonder why you added this strange harmonica sound during a few bars), there is some nice dynamic nuances and rubato, did you recorded some of it with a keyboard ?

It's great to hear this kind of music made with Modplug. Thanks and merry Christmas to you !

Sam_Zen

I'm not quite into classical music, so I expected to 'zap' from one track to the next.
But it kept my attention, so this must be a compliment.
Except for track 05. That's just terrible. Slightly out of tune mall-music gives me a headache..

cubaxd

Hi Paul and Sam.

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"I must say I had the "background film music" impression too sometimes, mainly because of the celesta which is used a lot in movie scores.
Is there really such a big difference between "normal" (modern) classical music and "background film music"? Okay, maybe, as psishock said, the one tells a story, and the other one describes a scene!?

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"What troubled me the most was the mix of chamber music samples with full orchestra samples, creating a non phono-realistic recording.
Well I'm not classically trained and I have no idea about orchestration. I'm just loading some instruments, place them somewhere, and then I start tracking and hope that nobody cares ;) But I'm glad you pointed that out. Maybe I can try to avoid that in the future. But I'm not very optimitic about that :)

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"did you recorded some of it with a keyboard ?
No. I didn't record any of the samples myself. They were all available on the internet. At the moment I can remember two projects (where I have most of the samples from):
The Sound Exchange and the Freepats project.

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"Thanks and merry Christmas to you !
Same to you :)

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"But it kept my attention, so this must be a compliment.
:)

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Except for track 05. That's just terrible. Slightly out of tune mall-music gives me a headache..
Haha :lol: When I finished the album I was wondering "Which one of them will Sam like most?" -- I really thought it will be track 5. :)

TheEagle

Wow. Such a beautiful Christmas present. Thank you very much!

My personal favourite is track no.16 ("Erinnerungen an nie erlebtes"). I love the beautiful piano and this fine mood that the song transports to me...
Great work, cubaxed.

cubaxd

Thanks for listening, Eagle :)

KrazyKatz

When I saw that you had uploaded an album (after so long), I was pleasantly surprised, and looking forward. Having listened, I was again met with astonishment.

Such ability is simply astounding. Admittedly this music is difficult for most people to relate to due to it's unorthodox classical form, but to those more in touch with orchestral works, it is easy to recognize the originality and depth to these pieces, whether you like them or not.

I would encourage you to develop your ability in this genre. You could most certainly compose for film productions with such an array of expression.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

uncloned

hard for me to find the time for a full album, but today I did.

A lot of this didn't appeal to me even though it is extremely well made. My taste is very 20th, 21st century skewed.

However, ditto is an amazing piece and I love it it - especially before the heavy rhythm comes in 3-ish.

mrvegas

Listening to a few tracks now -- fantastic!.  I'll download the whole thing.  This is a keeper, as they say.  I think the 5th track is brilliant, by the way.

Sort of has a Threepenny Opera feel to it.