Main Menu

master

Started by kit beats, December 17, 2009, 19:20:12

Previous topic - Next topic

kit beats

i want to set my master level knob on my hardware mixxer as low as possible, my box volume at half and hear my sound as loud/hard as possible coming true my speakers.

how do i do that?
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

psishock

lets see now:
1. turn the master lever knob on your hardware on lowest possible
2. turn your box volume to half
3. normalize your sound output after render, or do it in the mixing phase (either way is fine)

there, that should do the trick

(4.) you can go beyond 0dB while raising dB levels, that will give you even louder output then normalization, and will cause clipping/distortions on most places, but most of the people seems to be fine with even that, just to archive louder sounds.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

g

Compress as hard as you can (not the whole track tho, that will sound like crap), cut out some of the midrange and normalize to 110%. :)

kit beats

thanks for draw attention.

2questions:

1:raising db, is that the volume of the instrument?(not in the mixxer).

2:how do you cutout midrange and normilize to 110%, i dont understand.

I have now a little soft sound, and the volume on the instrument is high as possible, compressed it plus in the mixxer as high as possible and i cant get it louder.

the compressor is on middle position (duz that mean midrange?).

(but i compress more channels with the same compressor so i will get another compressor and check that out!)

Maybe take the sample and save it as 200%volume and put it back in or...

kit beats

iff im right there are this couples of volume:

volume of the instrument
volume in the mixxer
volume of the effect/compressor
volume of the master(in the software).

im not messing with the master volume of the software.

psishock

Quote2questions:
1:raising db, is that the volume of the instrument?(not in the mixxer).
2:how do you cutout midrange and normilize to 110%, i dont understand.
I have now a little soft sound, and the volume on the instrument is high as possible, compressed it plus in the mixxer as high as possible and i cant get it louder.
1. yep, it can apply to instruments also, the results will be the same.
2. normalizing means raising the db till the maximum threshold, so 110% means going above that by 10%. Digital technology has no limits nowdays.

Quotethe compressor is on middle position (duz that mean midrange?).
in your case that it midrange on the compressor alright, but in G's case, he meant middle range frequencies with equalizer. Commercial radio stations like to cut these frequencies, so the most important part of the music, the bass of course, will sound even louder.

QuoteMaybe take the sample and save it as 200%volume and put it back in or...
that sounds like a really interesting idea, the result will be instant double loud output indeed. Note that you will mayb get some artifacts from the heavy clipping, but that usually dont bother the listener, as long it sounds loud enough to please his ears.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "psishock"
1. turn the master lever knob on your hardware on lowest possible
2. turn your box volume to half
I'd add:
3. hear your sound as loud/hard as possible :D
4. PROFIT

Sorry for OT and utter stupidity, I just couldn't resist :D

psishock

please Nahkranoth handle the case with professional approach, this man needs help.

Nahkranoth

Sorry again, psi, that was my problem too not so long ago. I just try to compare my track's overall volume with some example track and try to boost it to that level. That's all :oops:

kit beats

no problem, it's almost chrismas :-)

thanks for the help that i needed but i do not get it louder then what i have now, and every volume is up!

peace, and a nice weekend everyone.

Sam_Zen

I will try to think of some answers despite some obvious contradictions here.
Quotebox volume at half and hear my sound as loud/hard as possible
Quotemaster level knob on my hardware mixer as low as possible
As low as possible would mean at value zero, which doesn't give any audio at all.
Anyway.
So, to get an 'impression of very loud' depends on the soundmaterial before the mixer.

Rule to achieve this :
- Compress every single soundsample to the max, and normalize it to 100% before importing it in the tracker.
- Handle the exported outputmix file in the same way in the same order with compression and normalization.

A tool to achieve this : Peak Limiter
Just set the peak scan threshold on about 30, limit, and do the normalize at 100% , and see the result.

kit beats

Thanks Sam_Zen,

I had the program from you years ago :)

i set it to 30%limit and normalized it but now i hear cracks, what duz that mean?

edit: i didnt normalize all samples and put them back in the tracker.

maleek

Never go beyond 0 db. It will destroy your audio.

How to get the best mix is almost a science.

The best advice I can give is to learn how to use compressors. There are a few very capable free VST:s out there. KVR-Audio is a good place to start: but avoid to get lost as there are virtually tons out there.  8)

A peak limiter on your entire track is also a trick many people pull off. Just be careful, as to much will produce unwanted artifacts to your music.
Thomas Mundt just released an update to his free plugin Loud Max:
http://rekkerd.org/thomas-mundt-updates-loudmax-to-v1-06/

kit beats

thanks for the loudmaxx vst maleek but it duznt work here...?!

Im still playing with samples and nothing but a compressor vst effect.(classic)
Thanks to that i have a wake up call now.

Plus when it not sounds full i think i must use an equalizer on every channel? and listen every channel, and then the full song if it fits?

That's where im @ now, im going to check that out.

I dont want to trick, i just need good sound on every volume.
Iff that is a trick then it's allright. :oops:

Doing it al in the program and save is better i think.

Best regards,

LPChip

I can really recommend this plugin for making your sound louder without going over the top. It works very easy (only 2 settings) and it seems to do the job pretty well.

http://www.x-buz.com/BuzMaxi3.html

Do note: if you overuse it (you easily can) you'll destroy your sound as it will overcompress other sounds.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs