[Unknown]On The Hunt (.IT)

Started by game_over, December 04, 2009, 13:01:23

Previous topic - Next topic

game_over

First tracker song!
http://www.mediafire.com/?dzmuzzyzzfy

I started small and simple with a few instruments and no more than five channels in use at the same time. All samples taken from GM.DLS :lol:

Very lazy panning trick involved here.

Any comments, constructive criticism, etc, I welcome it all. Me want feedback. :P

Edit by Mod: Changed topic title conform template.

Sam_Zen

It's not a lazy panning trick, but a silly one. Every channel ticked on 'Surround' ?
What's the purpose you had in mind ? Now, everything seems to come from the Right.
Again, only some 10 channels are used here.
Just forget about the Surround, and pan your 3 instruments in a proper Left - Center - Right way first.

game_over

QuoteWhat's the purpose you had in mind?
None. I first listened to it with default "everything centered" panning, then put everything on surround and it seemed nicer to me.

Proper panning would be awesome, actually, and I do want to redo the song with some real nice panning.

One problem, I'm a beginner to tracking, so I could find a list of "effects" (including the panning ones) but I can't find how to TYPE those effects in. And since the song was finished first, trying to create channel-based panning would be a huge pain.

Sam_Zen

Ok, you can find a way of panning in my version to be found here
Check the Instrument tab to see the panning value of the 3 instruments.

game_over

Oh. I see what you did to achieve non-channel-based panning. Damn my stupidity in unfamiliar program interfaces! :lol:

As for the sound itself though... not so much. Sorry, I'm not going to use your panning. I'll be making my own. Sorry but I genuinely don't like the way your panning sounds. I think it can be done quite a bit better and I'm going to do it! 8)

Not today though. Need more time. A bit more time.

TheEagle

Much better than my first tries with OMPT. Keep on tracking.... :)

Sam_Zen

2 game_over : Fine by me. It was just an example, not a push. Have removed it.

game_over

I just took a listen on my MP3 player... I have NO IDEA what exactly is busted on my PC, my soundcard, or my headphones...

It REALLY did sound nicer after putting everything on surround on my PC.

On my MP3 player I was like "why is the sound so horribly tinny?" then I realized it has to do with the way surround changes it.

This song IS better without the "all channels on surround" idiocy I did. Again, I'd never do it if not for whatever is busted on my PC.

From now on, I'm going to listen to every single tracker song I do on my MP3 player. I already listened to my other one "Prelude to a Battle" and it sounded good.

I know this is a topic bump, but I had to post this. I was genuinely shocked with how horrible "all surround" really sounds.

EDIT: Wait, I just compared both versions... I like them both, but only for the reason that this "tinny" sound kinda fits... I dunno.
Otherwise, it wouldn't have worked at all.

mrvegas

Wow, someone actually posting a module on a tracker forum!  (Just kidding - don't see that too much anymore.)

Anyway, I really liked the sound and the concept.  It didn't seem like there was enough material for the length of the tune, but it sounded cool.