[Orchestral] Lament (MP3)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, December 04, 2009, 00:17:15

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

About a month ago, I was playing around on the piano, and I came up with a fragment of melody that I couldn't get out of my head. I played with it, twisting it around, pushing it in different directions, seeing what I could do with it. Ultimately, I turned it into a full piece of music, and this is the result.

Listen online & blog post
Download

You can also listen to one of the (early) improvisations I played on this theme by downloading the recording I made on my phone here.

Sam_Zen

This is a very nice tune, Barry, but..
Sometimes I nag about a title, and here I just consider it too pretty to be called a "lament".

TheEagle

A real beauty, indeed.
I agree with Sam here. Much too beautiful for "lament". Nevertheless, you did a  great job bvanoudtshoorn... :)

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks S_Z & TheEagle! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) To be honest, "Lament" was the working title of the piece (chosen about, oh, thirty seconds into writing it :P). I really struggle with song titles, and I couldn't find anything that really fitted just how I wanted it to, so the working title stuck. :/ I know that it's not really fitting -- I personally feel the song is more melancholy than lachrymose (I love that word).

Thanks for listening and commenting. :D

TheEagle

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"I really struggle with song titles, and I couldn't find anything that really fitted just how I wanted it to...
I know exactly what you mean. I always have difficulties  to find a title, too.
Before I started to publish my songs on the i-net (summer 2008) all of them were simply titled by track numbers... :wink:

Sam_Zen

The difficulty starts, when one wants to think up a title after the piece has been made.
Maybe it will help to see a title as part of the composition, like one chooses the used instruments.
So in a much earlier stage of the process.

Nahkranoth

Just when I want to create a tune about "lament" and "un-happiness" it appears that those are already covered :D
Anyway, this is a nice tune, even for me being a piano-hater :P It sets the mood so to say. :welldone:

uncloned

I wonder how I missed this!

- as for the title issue - when confronted with that problem I resort to the tradition of classical composers and name "daily20091023" which is just the date. Tradition is "opus 23" or "study in A" - all of this is i'm sure familar to you.

This is a very pretty piece! Has a very intimate feel. Your orchestration enhances the feel which is, at least for me, hard to do.

Barry, I see you have great success in being "hearted" on T61 - can you talk about your experience with selling the music there? Do you sell much?

mrvegas

Nice piece.  I haven' t been here in a while.  Good to hear some new tunes.  I also liked the new synthy song on your website.  I would say I'm jealous of your Komplete purchase (well, OK, I am), although I don't think I would actually have time to load it on my machine.