How to insert a new pattern inbetween two preexisting ones?

Started by Muzozavr, November 30, 2009, 18:01:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzozavr

Sounds like a silly question, I thought I could just use the "Insert Pattern" command, but no! It creates a pattern yes, but it's IDENTICAL to the previous one, and TIED to the previous one. Trying to change one of them changes BOTH.

How do I insert a pattern inbetween two others so that they are independent?

Saga Musix

Insert, as the name suggests, inserts a pattern. Inserting requires of course that the pattern exists in a way already. "Creating new pattern" is the answer you're looking for. Either click the sheet icon (first in the pattern toolbar) or assign a shortcut to it. Or use the order list context menu. There are countless ways to do it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Muzozavr

I thought it'd just overwrite the pattern?? :shock:
Thanks. That works, though the numbering order is messed up. But since that doesn't change the way the thing plays, I don't care.

Thanks.

Rakib

Numbering is just a number, if you are worried about numbers. I suggest you  name your patterns, and then later use the cleanup -> rearrange pattern.
^^

Muzozavr

Rakib:

As I've said already, I don't care about the numbers right now. If it wants the order to be 0 1 2 3 4 16 5 6 7 8 9 17 10 11 12 13 14 15 then fine. I don't care.

However, I might use your suggestion after the song is finished, just to make the .IT file look better in the editor. I do want to publish the tune after all. :P

LPChip

If you want another good tip, try using ++ patterns.

In order to insert one, Press insert pattern, type 0, press - twice.

Or you can drag a -- pattern from the right to where you want it, and press - on it once.

What does a ++ order do? Nothing. It just skips that order and goes to the next one right away. Benefits? You can group your orderlist in sections and it'll make things easier to look at.

Wanna see what I mean, download one of my chiptunes, and edit it. :) (or see the youtube video of Battle for Justice)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Muzozavr

Thank you all for your suggestions! So far it all works pretty well. Will try to fix the numbering afterwards.

Saga Musix

Don't even try to do it yourself; If you would, that would be a sensless waste of time. OpenMPT can cleanup the patterns itself from the Edit->Cleanup menu.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Muzozavr

Quote from: "Jojo"Don't even try to do it yourself; If you would, that would be a sensless waste of time. OpenMPT can cleanup the patterns itself from the Edit->Cleanup menu.

Thanks. I've done the song itself now, will fix up the numbering tomorrow.

Next step... panning!

Saga Musix

I don't really know why people are so obsessed about having their patterns in perfect order, I normally keep the order as it has been created these days, which somehow shows the development of the tune. Also, I tend to leave patterns unused, which people can try to find then. :P