[rock] (Un-)Happiness (mp3)

Started by TheEagle, November 30, 2009, 12:55:57

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEagle

Hi everybody.

This is a rock song with a very usual selection of instruments: a -slight- dirty sounding drumkit, some guitars, bass, pad, piano & sax and in additional some orchestra strings:

(Un-)Happiness

I hope you'll like it....

uncloned

Hi Mr. Eagle!

Such a nice piece to wake up to - very epic sounding.
I'd suggest considering putting some vibrato in the guitar solo after the sax if you have not considered that already. The notes themselves are great.

The entry of the sax is very lovely!

TheEagle

Thank you for listening and commenting, Mr. Uncloned.

I have to say, I like the middle part with its saxophone and guitar-solo too, but I'm not satisfied with the begin and the end of this song. Unfortunately I had no idea how to improve those parts, so I decided to finish this song quickly and concentrate on the next...

uncloned

The end I think is still good.

Perhaps in the beginning you might want to consider bringing out what melodies are there a bit more forward.

TheEagle

Originally I wanted to do much more with the piano but I find it very difficult to create  piano sequences in OMPT by using the pc-keyboard. I often thought about buying a 'real' keyboard with midi abilities. Maybe it's time for a little 'hardware upgrade' like this.... :wink:

Sam_Zen

The strings sound introduced at 2:00 is to me quite flat and lacks some color.

And where's the "(Un-)" ?
This is building to an end in a kind of triumphical thing.

And the role of the piano is quite little here, so no reason imo to buy some hardware for the moment.

TheEagle

Thank you for your feedback, Sam.

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"And where's the "(Un-)" ?
From my point of view the 'middle-part' with its sax & guitar-solo represents the "(Un-)".
Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
And the role of the piano is quite little here, so no reason imo to buy some hardware for the moment.
Well, you're right, the piano plays a quite little role here but originally it shouldn't. As I wrote above: I wanted to do much more with it but I couldn't...
In generally when I try to make a piano sequence, my left hand lies on the pc-keyboard playing the notes and my right hand lies on the mouse switching the octaves. This is really annoying. And I think, a 'real' keyboard could help...

Paul Legovitch

There are shortcuts available for octave changing (I use F11-F12), it's easier than using the mouse.
But don't hesitate to buy a midi keyboard, I bought a rather cheap one and never regreted it. It's easier to work with, and leads to new musical ideas.

I liked the song very much. I would suggest to double the lead strings an octave higher (but not too loud) to add some brilliance to it. Also add crescendo on long held notes (and perhaps vibrato).

The saxophone sound is nice but I would handle note transitions differently : either use glissando here and there or cut the previous note instead of fading it, then add reverb to the whole channel. As it is, it sounds a bit too keyboardish ;)

I felt the voicepad did not fit and was almost unnecessary. I'm sure the track would be better without it completely, harmony is well conveyed by other instruments imho. The bass itself is good enough to introduce the song.

TheEagle

Thank you for listen and your detailed comment. I really appreciate it...

Nahkranoth

Just what I expected to hear (in a good way tho) :D
It has your trademark sound all the way thru :D Everything's fine except drums which I consider too weak sounding (the volume is too low for my taste). But if it is made intentionally then nevermind :gjob:
Good job, Mr.Eagle!

TheEagle

Thank you for your feedback, Mr. Noth. I'm glad that you like it... :)