Import sample (*.ogg, *.mp3)

Started by locctr, September 29, 2008, 07:39:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Exhale

mp3 import support would be greatly appreciated. All I want to do is not have to save my files outside the application as wavs and since I downloaded a whole whack of mp3 samples that I want to use despite the quality they have already lost and I am having trouble finding something to convert them to wav for free and on mass and I frankly dont see why I should have to.  Why cant there be a simple mp3 decoder built into the program to import mp3s into modplug and then convert them to whatever samples are used in the format you are using by stopping by wav along the way(if they have to).  I dont care about the filesize of my .IT I can buy bigger hdds and I'm planning on buying a terrabite soon, but I live in South Africa, where people are constantly overcharged for minimal bandwidth.  so downloads of big wavs are a problem and I dont want to buy any of the commercial versions of the mass converters.

what I'm trying to say is there must be some open source mp3/ogg/etc conversion software out there that you can link to codecs and then intergrate into modplug so that anything of that format can be imported into modplug straight from the format as if it was a wav.

Another awesome feature would be a record-to-new-sample button and options in the general tab or player dropdown that way bits of songs would be instantly integrateable into new songs(when you got multiple songs open and set at the same timing you could bring in features from other songs as pure samples without having to record it as an external wav).

anyways - these are probably only going to piss you guys off, but I am really desperate for the mp3 one unless you guys can help me find a free and relyable mass mp3 converter.

Saga Musix

For the time being, you could mass-render MP3 files to WAV by using f.e. XMPlay - I do that sometimes.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Sorry Jojo, but XMPlay is a player, not directly a converter (I spend some time before finding that option).

For batch conversion of soundfiles better use WinLame.
The list with compatible sound formats can be found here

By the way, Rakib, the OGG format is not lossless afaik.

Exhale

Quote from: "Jojo"For the time being, you could mass-render MP3 files to WAV by using f.e. XMPlay - I do that sometimes.

Thanks, downloaded it, not sure why the last batch didnt work in modplug, but going to try again soon... 1900 something breakbeats and drum shots will be mine to work with soon :)

I should download more

btw, I'm sure I used to use an old version of xmplay back in the day to play my its - the question is how well has it kept up with open modplug - I should test a song  :?
I think it'll be crap

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
For batch conversion of soundfiles better use WinLame.
The list with compatible sound formats can be found here

getting this one too

um, whats a 7z file? I'm downloading it somewhere else

Saga Musix

QuoteSorry Jojo, but XMPlay is a player, not directly a converter (I spend some time before finding that option).
I know what I'm talking about, thank you. One can batch-convert *anything* (even modules) to WAV/OGG/MP3 with XMPlay in light-speed, no need for specifc tools for every format anymore.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

jmkz

Another option that i'd do, is drag and drop .ogg samples into Winamp and use the function of 'Send to:>>Format Converter' (Encoding format: WAV Encoder) via right-click in the desired/selected samples.

Saga Musix

In the meantime, support for MP1/MP2/MP3 import has been added through libmpg-123: http://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Samples#File_Toolbar

nervesagent

Great..another reason to update...
Always afraid my (keyboard/vst)settings get f**cked up again when doing so..

Saga Musix

"Again"? OpenMPT won't touch your keyboard config when upgrading (unless you uninstall it and choose to remove your current config).

nervesagent

Well not to talk bad about this great product but in the very early openmpt versions, when I installed a newer version a new folder was created and I didn't know about the keyboard mapping file...
I also had to add all my vst's to the plugin manager again. That has been solved now by the scan for plugins option.
Most of the time I only updated after a windows XP crash/reinstall and was too lazy to get to the backup files... don't take it as a critique...

Saga Musix

No offense, but these problems have been gone loooong ago. OpenMPT uses %APPDATA% for storing program settings by default.

nervesagent

Great. I just bought a new system, so will try it out  :)

Saga Musix

Support for MediaFoundation codecs has been added in OpenMPT 1.25, so on Windows 7 and newer, you can now load a great bunch of more formats as samples.

Exhale

Quote from: Saga Musix on August 13, 2015, 18:25:26
Support for MediaFoundation codecs has been added in OpenMPT 1.25, so on Windows 7 and newer, you can now load a great bunch of more formats as samples.
Thank you very much, I have been noticing this and loving it!