[primal scene] Sound Trek (ogg)

Started by Sam_Zen, November 02, 2009, 10:11:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

A first mix of Sound Trek - 5:02

Material : All 10 samples of the SoOn Compo 2009

Tools : Paulstretch and CEP

uncloned

Had you entered this would of been the most interesting entry for me!

Do you know which sample starts to sound like a high tenor voice around 3:30?

You've dragged some very interesting sounds out of this Sam. wow...

Can you give some more detail?

Is OpenMPT involved at all?

Sam_Zen

It could have been done with OMPT but not this time.

The high tenor sample is originally "A_2Sample.wav" (I first converted all MP3's)

Details of the procedure :
a. I first wanted to stretch all samples (varying from 2 secs to 4 mins) to equal size.
I chose to stay in between, so I fixed it on 2:31 (don't ask me why, no clue).

b. These 10 tracks were subject of modifications exclusively with CEP. Each track another treatment.

c. Mixing these tracks together caused an overcrowded soup, because of the rich sounds of each track.
So I decided to make it a double time, 5:02, to have more room shifting the tracks.

bvanoudtshoorn

S_Z, this is *really* good -- possibly one of your best. I really, really like it.

Nahkranoth

OMFG, Sam, I'm here with bv. It's my favourite of yours, along with "Triangle of noise" and some of the old tapes.
Btw, how did you achieve this almost holophonic sound? I heard some sounds literally behind my back! (I was using headphones). Is there some magic involved? Or you sold your soul to the DSP devil, I heard him whispering and screaming close to the end of the track :D

Sam_Zen

Who's bv ?
The DSP devil was kept quiet here, just used straightforward effects.

QuoteI heard some sounds literally behind my back

This is very interesting. Did you experience this only in the second half ?
Because there I used a track, turned 180 degrees in phase..

Regarding this aspect :
The basic composition is made in four channels, and then, for the publication, mixed into 2C.
I'm still working on the finetuning, that's why this is a first mix.
If ready, I will publish this 4C version too. F.e. the OGG format can contain multiple channels as well.

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Who's bv ?

That'd be me. Like most people, I don't think Nahkranoth particularly wants to deal with my full name. :D

Sam_Zen

I see. For the same reason I'm used to the string "bvo" in my logs, so that's why I didn't notice..

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Did you experience this only in the second half ?
Because there I used a track, turned 180 degrees in phase..
Yes, that was in the second half. That's interesting because usually it should sound like inside my head and stretched from the left to right. But the whole track is quite spacious, some sounds to the left/right are located lower than I'm used to hear. I hope the explanation is not too confusing :D

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Who's bv ?
It's Barry :D
I'm too lazy to type sometimes :lol: I usually shorten Nahkranoth to just Noth btw.
That's why I use Sam instead of Sam_Zen.

Sam_Zen

2 Noth : Not confusing, still interesting.
Of some tracks I made the panorama wider, maybe this explains the odd positions.
I like to add, that I use speakers as monitor  when mixing, not headphones.
For a picture of the situation, look here

uncloned

Sam,

Is that your 4-channel set up or do you have speakers behind you besides?

I need to listen again to try to catch Noth's observations. I can't remember now if I listened on speakers or headphones.

And - I'm going to PM LP - but for everyone else - I'd like a free (not trial) video capture program - I'm working with Sonar matrix view and I'd like to capture a performance.

Louigi Verona

This is interesting work. I need a second listen to say more. I liked the color of the sound and it's width.

Sam_Zen

2 Clones :
It's my vertical 4-channel set up (4C), no speakers behind me to make rear sounds..
These speakers are just a monitor when working on the computer.
If I want to listen to a powerful result, I can switch to a soundsystem behind this table (in the dark).
Consisting of two stereo amps, with two 100 W speakers on the floor, and two 100 W for upper corners.

By the way, talking about the 4-channel format :
OMPT has the option of exporting to a Quad WAV. I have tested this and it is a correct result.
It's only possible with the IT modules, because it has the 'Surround' button per tracker channel.

If a channel has this button disabled, it will be mixed into WAV channel 1 and 2. (Front Down - cq Front)
If a channel has this button enabled, it will be mixed into WAV channel 3 and 4. (Front Up - cq Rear)

Such WAVs can be converted to OGG or FLAC, both capable of containing multiple channels.

Nahkranoth

Hmm, you shouldn't hear those effects using speakers, so I guess the holophonics are not intentional. Can anybody confirm this effect or I'm just hearing things?

g

Quote from: "Nahkranoth"Hmm, you shouldn't hear those effects using speakers, so I guess the holophonics are not intentional. Can anybody confirm this effect or I'm just hearing things?

If part of the sound is phaseshifted 180 degrees and you have dolby pro-logic enabled somewhere it makes sense in some headphone virtual surround way...