Ability to assign navigation/note stops via MIDI

Started by Harbinger, October 28, 2009, 18:44:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Now that i'm able to input by MIDI controller, i can easily input notes even with their velocities, but i'm forced to pause when i want to enter a note stop or navigate to another row, channel, or pattern. To do that i have to turn my computer keyboard, hit the shortcut, then back to my MIDI keyboard to continue.
What would increase my efficiency would be if i could enter note stops or navigate in the Pattern Editor with selected MIDI notes. Even better if i could somehow change the Jump value as well as undo via MIDI note. Here's what i would hope could be assigned to MIDI notes, besides notes:

Note Off
Note Cut
Note Fade
Move 1 row up/down
Move 1 channel up/down
Move 1 pattern forward/back
Increase/decrease Row Spacing by one
Undo last MIDI entry

Saga Musix

The Note Off command is already registered by MPT at least. Or do I get something wrong here?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Actually a separate "command" which enters it only when assigned to a MIDI note.

Paul Legovitch

Cool idea, this would be a great improvement in workflow for me as well.

In the meantime I've found a program named MID2Keys :
http://www.prettybigmusic.com/software/MID2Keys.htm
http://code.google.com/p/mid2key/
The program takes incoming MIDI notes and translates them to virtual keystrokes.Theorically, it must be possible to edit the whole track with this, but I'm not sure of what "keystrokes" means for this program and how they are coded in the config file (presumably ascii code). This could be rewarding to get into it.

Harbinger

Great link! Have you tried it? If it works then i can rescind this request.

Paul Legovitch

I tried it.
It has a midi in - midi out (thru on/off) setup (works with midi yoke). By default incoming midi notes (number 1 to 128) are send to the active window as virtual keystrokes of the same number, and the midi notes themselves can be send to midi out.
One way to use it is to create an alternative keyboard setting file in Modplug where you pass midi notes as keys/shortcuts while MID2Keys is running.

But don't close this request as it does not work very well I'm afraid. Modplug's reaction to these virtual keys is a bit strange : left, right, up work, but down does not (and other unwanted behaviours). Also it requires a little gymnastic to separate note recording from pattern navigation.

It would be better to have this implemented in modplug. The ability to use the mod wheel to enter parameters is one of these great midi features that add a lot to modplug. Your idea would too.

Saga Musix

Coda has implemented something that is very close to the original request. You can now map actions in the pattern, sample and instrument editor to MIDI CCs. To use this feature, enable MIDI input, go to the keyboard settings, select some shortcut and send the MIDI CC on your MIDI device to register it. A testing version is available as always at http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Now that is Freakin' CWOOLL! Good work Coda!

Even though i don't have my original controller that i was using when i made this request, i'm seriously tempted to save up to get another one.

Quote from: Jojo on April 28, 2012, 16:42:06
Coda has implemented something that is very close to the original request.

You say it's close. How is it NOT working in re to this request, do you think?

Perhaps a write-up in the OHM would be forthcoming. If this is fully implemented in the most recent test of MPT, we should prepare a small blurb in the MIDI section on getting this to work...

Saga Musix

Quote from: Harbinger on May 01, 2012, 14:08:56
You say it's close. How is it NOT working in re to this request, do you think?
It will only work with MIDI CCs, not with MIDI Notes as you suggested. And there's no dedicated "Undo last MIDI entry" function, but you can of course bind a MIDI CC to the global "Undo" shortcut. Naturally, this new feature can be used best with a MIDI controller that has a lot of freely assignable buttons or knobs.

Also, the new function has been written up in the official help in the keyboard settings section already.