Fade, cut, off

Started by Rakib, October 27, 2009, 23:54:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

Whats the difference between note fade and note off. Allways used note off, but just found out about note fade.
^^

Saga Musix

Note Fade is an IT/MPTM only command which will, as the name suggests, fade the note out. Doesn't work with VSTs of course, as MIDI just knows "on/off".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

To be a little bit more precise:

As Jojo mentioned, this is for samples only.

Note Cut will stop the note immediatelly. If previous notes on that channel are still playing, they're stopped aswell.

Note Off will trigger the sustained part of either the sampled sustain loop or instrument sustain loop. This means, that if a sample or instrument has a sustain loop set, and the sample or instrument is in this loop, looping, once the note-off is triggered, the loop will dissappear, and the sample/instrument will play till it reaches the end. A new note, of course, will have the sustain loop set.

Note Fade will fade out the instrument using the value in the instrument tab called Note fade. The higher the number the quicker the note fade will happen.

For VSTs and VSTi's, you basically only can use the Note-off.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

And to be a little more precise than LP: :P

As far as I know, Note Off and Note Cut are both recognised by VSTs, and can produce different results, depending on the plugin. So you can use both when working with plugs.

Paul Legovitch

It really makes a big difference if you're using an instrument with envelopes :

* Note off will continue the rest of all envelopes after the release node (if there is one, MPTM only) or after the sustain loop (if there is one). This is applied to the 3 envelopes (volume, pan, and filter).

* Note fade will apply a continuous decrease of the volume starting from the current value of the volume envelope, but ignoring the rest of the envelope. Here is the big difference : for the pan and filter envelopes, the current value is kept unchanged (constant) and the rest of the envelope is ignored. If you have a nice filter loop after the sustain loop, you won't hear it.

I usually set the New Note Action to Note Fade to blend the notes together with a quicker volume decrease than the Note Off envelope.

Saga Musix

This was not about NNAs (although it's basically about the same actions of course). I'm not sure if Note Fade can be used for plugins, at least I didn't consider it. Maybe it can be used for something else for VSTis in the future.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"And to be a little more precise than LP: :P

As far as I know, Note Off and Note Cut are both recognised by VSTs, and can produce different results, depending on the plugin. So you can use both when working with plugs.

Actually, if that still should be the case, then its broken in 3.02, or I'm doing something wrong. I can only use note-off on a VSTi to stop the note. Note-cut seems to be ignored.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Actually, SCx works with VST instruments, but  Note Cut doesn't.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"Actually, SCx works with VST instruments, but  Note Cut doesn't.

Yeah, I am aware of that. I do believe that in the past VSTi's would react to note cut's like note-offs.

Saga Musix

Actually, I have had another look at the code and tried it myself afterwards, and ^^ works just like == and ~~ for VSTis sends a note-off for any active notes on the current MIDI channel and in addition also sends MIDI CCs 120 (all sounds off) and 123 (all notes off).

Harbinger

Quote from: "Rakib"Whats the difference between note fade and note off. Allways used note off, but just found out about note fade.

Okay now i'm concerned. The whole point of the OHM was to avoid these questions in your mind. I didn't educate properly apparently in the manual and that needs to be fixed.

Did you read about this in the OHM, Rakib, and you were still confused? Or did you not see it in the OHM?

This is exactly why i wanted to write up the manual for MPT, so confusions could be headed off at the pass. :?

Rakib

Guilty. But since I've never seen ~~, I'd had to ask.
But I'll use the new help file when it's out of beta and easy reachable from Modplug.
^^

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Rakib"But since I've never seen ~~
Well, it's new in the latest version, and the only trackers that can use this command are OpenMPT and Schism. As mentioned earlier, it was supported by Impulse Tracker (we would not have added it if it wasn't an actual IT command), but it could not be entered in its pattern editor. However, any note above B-9 and below note cut (read: invalid notes) should be handeled as "note fade", so any decent IT player will probably get it right. Or maybe not. :P