[ambient rock] The Equation (mp3)

Started by uncloned, October 23, 2009, 04:27:31

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

A bit cheesy I know... but its what I did for myself today. I've been stuck doing other stuff for most of the week - this took about 8 hours give or take.

Download the mp3

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily20091022-guitar-the-equation.mp3

or ogg - streaming in the recent Firefox

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily20091022-guitar-the-equation.ogg

3 tracks with my strat copy + NI guitar rig
1 track with my Washburn bass + NI guitar rig
1 vocal clip I made and tortured
1 Korg MS200 track
1 Pianoteq track
session drummer 3

Sonar 8.5 used to put it all together

TheEagle

Well, from my point of view the snare drum sounds a bit too thin. It needs some more pressure and the record level seems to be -slightly- too high. There are -a few- distortions on the left channel. But this is bleating at the highest level....

Nevertheless, a great song that I enjoyed. And I love your guitar works, Mr Uncloned....

uncloned

Thank you for listening and liking it!

Very nice to wake up to :-)

If I get time today I will post a 70's style mix and lower that snare for more depth.

In the current version I used compression on the drums and then compressed the entire mix just a little - I don't believe any clipping occurred. The output of Sonar was about 80% of maximum and I normalized to 98%.

TheEagle

Quote from: "uncloned"In the current version I used compression on the drums and then compressed the entire mix just a little - I don't believe any clipping occurred. The output of Sonar was about 80% of maximum and I normalized to 98%.
In generally its not (only) the peak-level that could be responsible for clipping. The more important value is the average RMS level (loudness). And this value seems to be relatively high in this song (not analyzed yet)....

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there is something -very slightly- at 2:37 and 2:44 on the left channel. It's not the drums. It's something in the background but it's not really disturbing. I wouldn't hear it without headphones.
As I wrote, this is bleating at the highest level and this brilliant song really doesn't need excessive criticism...

Sam_Zen

I agree about the snare. Not enough body. But it could also be helped with a slight 'hall' behind it.
I heard some tick around 2:45 at the right channel, but couldn't locate it with CEP (Audition).
When loaded, I saw a file which is quite heavily compressed. Although the average RMS is about -11 db.

Since this is about production : I think the panorama is too narrow.
I know this is a 'daily' one, so it is as it is, but for my own convenience, I did some post production.

First lowering the volume with -6 db of course to prevent the result from clipping.
Then the Pan/expand function at a moderate 200 %, and then normalizing back to 98 %.

uncloned

@Sam

you are referring to the ogg file?

Nahkranoth

Feck the mixing! I like your guitar work, clones, and this song is too good to be called "daily" :wink:

Sam_Zen