[ballad enhanced] Voice from the Grave (mp3)

Started by uncloned, October 19, 2009, 20:15:48

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

Well, this is the last song in which the subject matter was about my first marriage.
Written in the early summer of 2000 I recorded a demo of it, just 12-string and voice.
http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/grave-mono.mp3

Thanks to Norm Harris I re-visited the track and added a few things:

Norm Harris contributed the excellent percussion.

Original Voice and Fender 12-string
GR-20 Sax, Rhodes electric piano and cello
Washburn bass
Albino software synthesizer x 2
Tonehammer Francesca voice sample.

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/voice-from-the-grave-20091019.mp3

The lyrics follow:

Voice from the Grave

Down by the riverside
Where all of the fish had died
I threw my faith right in
When I saw it, it was sinking

Oh don't you go
Don't you even dare
Don't run away until you've heard
The voice from the grave

I thought you were a mermaid or two
Darn it, funny how I got fooled
I guess you can't blame the creature
For following its own nature

Oh don't you go
Don't you even dare
Don't you stare until you've heard
The voice from the grave

Sam_Zen

Nice work. I like the sound of the bass, it's a bit like the one used by the Move.

uncloned

thanks for the listen and comment Sam.

That bass has a story. I went to the music store with our nameless white bass since the store was advertising a "trade in and trade up" sale. They refused that bass using the excuse "it doesn't have a serial number" - that wasn't very nice - and ate into our budget - in the room of basses I played a good dozen, some expensive and nice like the fretless bass Debbie had to pull from my hands :-) , but over all the Wasburn won. The dealer was begging me to buy a Yamaha - about $75 more expensive and was as he said better made, but I couldn't hold it to play sitting down and it just didn't have that nice high end that the Washburn did.  It very well could be that the high end is from the thing having guitar-ish and not bass pick ups - but it really doesn't matter if it sounds good in my book.

Sam_Zen

Nice story. I checked my the Move albums, but the Washburn is not mentioned.

Maybe it's not just the pick up. It could be the strings as well, giving this high end sound.
Most strings are polished to a flat surface, but I remember having a semi-acoustic bass with 'winded' strings.
(maybe not the right expression, I dunno)