How do I reduce the number of rows?

Started by timtek, October 13, 2009, 22:44:12

Previous topic - Next topic

timtek

I've tried searching for an answer and I've looked everywhere I can think of in ompt. The drum loop I wan't to use is shorter than the 63 rows in ompt. How do I reduce the number of rows?

Saga Musix

If you're working with XM/IT/MPTM files, either click the number with the hash sign in the topleft corner of the pattern (f.e. "#0") or press the icon with the question mark in the pattern editor toolbar. Or, alternatively, right-click on the pattern in the order list and select "properties".
With MOD/S3M files, you'd have to use a pattern break command.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

timtek

Thanks jojo. I appreciate the quick help! =)

Sam_Zen

Reducing the number of rows may not be the right approach.

Better first speed up the playback until the end of the loop reaches nr 63.
You can do this roughly by setting the Ticks/Row, and do a fine adjustment with Tempo.

Setting the number of rows can be done by R-click on the Patternbar - Properties.

rncekel

Well, it can be the right approach or not; it depends on exactly what rhythm makes the drum loop. If it is in 4/4, the best would be to have a multiple of 4 rows, 64 would be nice. But if it is in another rhythm, you should find an integer multiple of the number of beats. I mean, if it is in 3/4, it would be better something like 48 rows, and if it is 5/4, 40 or 80 would be a better choice.
So you might consider: changing the number of rows (if it is a convenient rhythm); chaging the tempo (with the T effect in IT format) or changing the number of ticks per row (with the A).

Saga Musix

In addition, if you know the BPM of the loop (e.g. 140 BPM), change the song tempo to 140BPM. If you don't know it, you have to play around a bit. As the others said, if it's 4/4, make a 64 row pattern and adjust the song tempo until the loop fits perfectly.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

And lastly, you can always cut a pattern using the C00 command.

C00 means (for IT files that is): Jump to row 00 on the next pattern.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs