What happened to modplug.com??

Started by Rakib, September 24, 2009, 15:47:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

^^

psishock

relax, godaddy.com is a webhosting online service. To me it looks like the domain simply expired.

edit: meanwhile, i've checked the other topics, it seems that i was right
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3405.0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=32
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Quoterelax, godaddy.com is a webhosting online service. To me it looks like the domain simply expired.
That is no reason to relax. GoDaddy is a domain seller, yes, but that's as much as you can relax about it. If the domain expired, it would say "modplug.com expired and awaits renewal" or something like that. However, in this case, it says that the domain is not taken. That's alarming.
Did Kim drop the domain?!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

I don't know why would Kim do that. However i don't have direct control over the situation, or any direct contact that i can alert, so only can observe.

Saga Musix

Well, I've already sent him a mail, I hope that it will arrive... Also, he doesn't really do anything for the site (it hasn't changed much in years, still points to outdated download locations and stuff), so go figure. (And no, I do not say that he did this on purpose.)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Since his StudioKraft.com website still functions, I have a feeling he actually let it expire and not renewed on purpose. He hasn't done much with it latelly, and I did asked him if it was okay to put the new site on my server instead of his.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

Don't be silly. Someone spend $10 and by the domain name before its gone. This can be sorted out later.  I would but I'm out of town and on my bberry.

I will be glad to host peoples music.

I'll be home in 4 hrs and I will buy it if no one else has.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

MisterX

Just me being lazy about the domain renewals.  I have a lot of domains at GoDaddy, and their "auto-renew" feature is a pain in the butt, so I set all of them to manual, which means sometimes I can let a domain lapse.

What download locations should the site be linking to?  You're right, I haven't done anything with it in a loooong time, but there was always talk of resurrecting it in one form or another.
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

psishock

ahh, always nice to hear good news, fast and efficient problem solving.

uncloned

good deal!

it was sounding dire

I imagine an internet squatter would hold www.modplug.com for a ransom.

According to this

http://www.mywebsiteworth.com/site/www.modplug.com

over $3,000

Saga Musix

MisterX: I would prefer if the download button for OpenMPT linked to
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=18.0
instead of SourceForge, because we have alternative download locations there (with different package content as well).
Also, the OpenMPT feature list is a bit out of date as well, I'll try to summarize what needs to be updated:

Supported formats for importing:
   *  UNIS 669 (669)
   * ASYLUM Music Format / Advanced Music Format (AMF)
   * Extreme Tracker (AMS)
   * DigiBooster(DBM)
   * X-Tracker (DMF)
   * DSIK Format (DSM)
   * Farandole Composer (FAR)
   * General Digital Music (GDM)
   * Imago Orpheus (IMF)
   * Impulse Tracker (Project) (IT/ITP)
   * DigiTracker (MDL)
   * OctaMED (MED)
   * MIDI (MID)
   * MO3-compressed modules (MO3)
   * ProTracker / NoiseTracker / etc. (MOD, 4 - 32ch, 15/31 smp)
   * OpenMPT (MPTM)
   * MadTracker 2 (MT2)
   * MultiTracker (MTM)
   * Oktalyzer (OKT)
   * Epic Megagames MASI (PSM)
   * PolyTracker (PTM)
   * ScreamTracker 3 (S3M)
   * ScreamTracker 2 (STM)
   * UltraTracker (ULT)
   * Unreal Music Package (UMX)
   * Wave (WAV)
   * Grave Composer (WOW)
   * FastTracker (XM)
   * Compressed Modules (ZIP, LHA, RAR or ITZ, XMZ, S3Z, MDZ, MPTMZ, MDR)

Supported formats for exporting: IT, S3M, XM, MOD, MPTM (OpenMPT modules), MID, WAV

The site still says "Since beta3, Modplug Tracker now also supports the following sound banks" - beta3 was released 12 years ago, so I think this sentence is not necessary anymore.

Also, the site says "Up to 64 channels supported for editing (up to 80 virtual channels)" - This is also outdated. It has to be "Up to 127 channels supported for editing (up to 256 virtual channels)"

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"Also, the OpenMPT feature list is a bit out of date as well
Except that it's not a OpenMPT feature lists ;) The page is about Modplug tracker with all downloads directing to it instead of OpenMPT.

Saga Musix

Well, the flagship of the site should definitely be OpenMPT, and the download link on the main site also redirects to the open-source version - so the user would expect OpenMPT's feature list there and not MPT's feature list - which is also less attractive, and therefore a "bad advertisement".

uncloned

JoJo,

I suggest having links to both versions.

Some people might not want the updated version.

And links to the player and web app as well.