[pop] Montt Mardie - We're All the Pirate Bay (YouTube)

Started by Louigi Verona, August 18, 2009, 11:46:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fCHoI0h7Tc

Lyrics

Don't write songs to make money
I write them for people to sing along
(x3)

There will come a day
When our flag will sway
Everyone will say
We're all The Pirate Bay
We're all The Pirate Bay

You will never have to pay to hear this song
You will never have to pay to sing along
(x3)

Don't write songs to make money
I write them for people to sing along
(x3)

There will come a day
When our flag will sway
Everyone will say
We're all The Pirate Bay
We're all The Pirate Bay

You will never have to pay to hear this song
You will never have to pay to sing along
(x3)

We're all The Pirate Bay
We're all The Pirate Bay
We're all The Pirate Bay
We are all The Pirate Bay

g

While I appreciate the message, I don't really like the song.

Sam_Zen

Me neither. It's 3 times nothing. And I don't fancy the populistic mixing of an enthousiastic crowd.
And the message is somewhat outdated in the meantime...
It's more like : Create a Pirate Bay and then make lot of money by selling it.

uncloned

g

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"And the message is somewhat outdated in the meantime...
It's more like : Create a Pirate Bay and then make lot of money by selling it.
It's more like: Run a site for 5+ years, get sentenced to 1 year in prison and a 293000 € fine, sell the site when an opportunity presents itself to make the site legal and put all the money in a fund for financing projects aimed at keeping internet open and relaxing copyright.

psishock

Well, this is a mind of a hobby musician, who makes music for fun and something else for living. But a professional musician does music for fun and for living, for requests, that is totally natural in this monetary system. I don't see what is wrong appreciating people for their work, we could cease professional software developers, 3d modelers, graphic designers etc, but those people will starve in this world this way, or gotta look for another job, that will most likely have heavy impact on their current productivity, creativity, because work takes precious time, body and mind power. I'm sure you can easily understand this fact LV, no matter how much you advertise and support free stuff.

Also, every time i read more and more stuff about the PB, it feels more and more that it was a planned and concealed big business plan all the time.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Louigi Verona

No matter how many times a false statement is repeated, it does not become true. Downloading music files has nothing to do with our support of musicians. And to this day I haven't heard anyone prove the opposite. If by proof you mean that by buying a compact disc you thus send the money to the artist, then you are very naive indeed. As a person who directly works with major labels I can tell you that when you buy a compact disc the artist gets 0 dollars 0 cents. Period.

If a musician chooses to make a living by selling copies of files in the age of information technology, then he is an idiot.

If a software company chooses a business model of selling copies of files and labeling millions of people criminals, then they are not only idiots, they are also very unethical people, to put it mildly.

As for 3d modelers and graphic designers, those people have nothing to do with the problems of copyright - none of them make a living by selling copies of their works.

You have to understand that the story of a "starving musician" is a myth. Look around, for Gods sake! I know about a hundred professional musicians personally, some of them are pretty popular, some of them are pretty well paid and NONE, I repeat this - NONE of them make a living by selling copies of their music. Why don't they starve?

If you believe that it is okay for projects like TPB to go down simply because you think they are making a lot of money, I would advice focusing on counting your profits, not somebody else's. Yeah, and read up on bandwidths costs too. Are you running a web portal? If not, how can you judge the expenses? I am running a portal. It's not even near the size and activity of TPB, yet I am spending quite a significant sum of money to keep it up.

And, in conclusion, I love the song. It is great and I love the message - it's simple and very sincere.

uncloned

man.. you are so wrong.

A So On member sells CDs at his shows - $10 each - he and his wife plays for little or free at churches and relies off the CD sales - they cost him some $3 to make.

And he is not alone - many bands sell their CDs at shows - and I for one have bought them

Andrew Calhoun  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Calhoun
Sonny Landerth  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Landreth

Both of whom have received radio play. Lots of radio play.

Louigi Verona

There is a significant difference between selling several cds on a show and putting your whole hope of making a living by selling files. That's what I am talking about. Musicians who I know also sell cds on shows and do get some income from this, but it is not something they make a living with, really.

That's one. And second - downloading and share music files does not prevent people from buying cds, does it? Cds are material objects and one would want to buy it to have in a collection. It has nothing to do with having files.

Copying files will only be easier. No matter what you or I say, sooner or later copying would be considered 100% legal. Companies will change their business models and the copyright wars will be just a page of history.

Saying that copying files is wrong and that it makes people starve is boring and to be blunt - plain stupid, excuse my refinement. To be honest, I am tired of hearing it again and again from people of Modplug who are so intelligent. Why does intelligence seem to fail in this simple question?

uncloned

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"There is a significant difference between selling several cds on a show and putting your whole hope of making a living by selling discs. That's what I am talking about. Musicians who I know also sell cds on shows and do get some income from this, but it is not something they make a living with, really.

That's one. And second - downloading and share music files does not prevent people from buying cds, does it?

So where am I wrong?

The Beatles made a very fine living off of album and single sales after they stopped touring.

The So On artist does rely on that income. And he is concerned with downloads. I see downloads as advertisement - but after he spent several thousand dollars to produce his last album he does not feel as I do. He would be appalled at what you are saying to be honest.

Musicians and composers DO deserve to be supported if their talent warrants it. And the people should be free to decide whom to support. I support the ones I like. No artist (or CEO ) should get hundreds of millions of dollars every year. That is lunacy. But making a fair living to support the expensive tools is not unreasonable.

The RIAA is extortion and they do not give money back to the artist (as documented).

So, yes, you are wrong.

Louigi Verona

QuoteThe Beatles made a very fine living off of album and single sales after they stopped touring.

There was no Internet then, was there?

QuoteThe So On artist does rely on that income. And he is concerned with downloads. I see downloads as advertisement - but after he spent several thousand dollars to produce his last album he does not feel as I do. He would be appalled at what you are saying to be honest.

Then tell me what is the solution, Chris? Because if when I am copying files of music to my friend, an artist like you describe is dying of hunger, then perhaps we should all ask major computer companies to remove any copying functionality from our computers. Tell me this. I am not being sarcastic, I really try to understand what do you think should be done then?

Louigi Verona

QuoteMusicians and composers DO deserve to be supported if their talent warrants it. And the people should be free to decide whom to support. I support the ones I like. No artist (or CEO ) should get hundreds of millions of dollars every year. That is lunacy. But making a fair living to support the expensive tools is not unreasonable.

If this support means letting me pay them - cool. I'm for that. If that support means stripping me of my freedom to share, then I am not ready for such a sacrifice.

uncloned

then I'd suggest supporting the artist directly.

Louigi Verona

Chris, with this I agree a 1000%. So just help your So On member set up a PayPal account, set up a webpage and he will favour file sharing much more as his music becomes available to a lot of people, many of who would not mind sending five bucks. The more people like the music, the more money he gets. + live shows. + selling cds on those shows. I think that might be enough to make a living.

uncloned

He is selling on several venues now including iTunes which is *the* place now-a-days (and it seems his iTunes link is messed up - I need to call him up.)

http://www.celestinesongs.com/

It is ironic - you need a physical CD to sell on iTunes (as well as pass their quality review board)