[Progressive Alt.] Your Room (mp3) Modtrack, Gtr, Vocals

Started by blain, August 14, 2009, 12:01:06

Previous topic - Next topic

blain

YOUR ROOM

http://www.bluebloomer.com/blains_music/blain_hosford_your_room.mp3

This is an epic piece filled with mod tracked drums, piano, organ, bass etc. real guitars and vocals. It starts very quiet but builds, then lulls before hitting an epic finale. A very complex wall of sound.

Overall I like the tune but feel the mix is a bit too bright and lacking warmth. This will be fixed. I'd also love to hear a version with real drums and bass, though I'm an electronic fan too!

Sam_Zen

Very good production, as usual.
Not lacking warmth. Well. maybe just a little bass boost.

blain

Hi Sam_Zen, thanks for lending an ear. You are probably right. Perhaps the actual bass sound is just slightly on the thin side. Initially I had problems with the kick too, and then opted for a larger electronic kick sound... good times playing with sound.

uncloned

Yep - this is excellent as well.

How are you doing the module portion? Is it all samples or are you using VSTIs? - and.... do you export from the module as a whole or export tracks post produce the collection of wavs? And if the collection of wavs what do you use to master?

I like that your chord progressions have variety. Having an excellent voice doesn't hurt.

I'd be curious to know how long you've been writing music and working at the production end.

Aussies are on a roll with me

Hunz and Mr Mark Dollin are a couple of my favorites.

I guess I gotta add kiwis as well.

uncloned

I should add that this sounds like The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald in places = especially during the leads.

I couldn't place it but when my wife mentioned that song - she's right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreck_of_the_Edmund_Fitzgerald

but that is pretty minor though.

blain

Hi uncloned,

Thanks for listening and comments. I'll try and find The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald, you got me interested hear it.

To answer a few questions:
The mod portion is done using samples with vst effects (no vsti's).
I did export different tracks. Drums, bass, strings, etc. But didnt really need to do much extra work on them. But normally I also import the audio track into the mod so I can hear and alter things.

Have been writing for years and been recording as a hobby. Got into using mod tracker early on and got into band playing.

I'll search around for Hunz and Mark Dollin. Are they members of this forum? (will look)

uncloned

this *may* have the section in it (leads)

I'm running on a virtual machine and I don't have audio right now to make sure.

Let me read your reply

uncloned

you'll find Hunz on Traxinspace (just a song or two) - he is  a scene legend

Mr Mark Dollin - the Mr is important,  can be found on deviant art and on the renoise IRC channel.

http://markdollin.deviantart.com/

blain

uncloned

your production is great - not many productions impress me to do better in my own work but yours do. thanks for the information!

blain

I think I can get into Hunz, I appreciate the links! Thank you. Awesome hearing new stuff.

blain

Thanks for the kind words.

I have to admit, Hunz's sound quality is top notch.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening

Don't care for pop or rock songs with vocals that i can't make out. You have a lazy enunciation -- nothing wrong with that, but to counterbalance it so you're understandable, you have to take special precautions with your vocal tracks. Suggestions: put reverb "away" from vocals; put most of the vocal track into a "tight" stereo almost to mono; limiter/compression tricks; equalize the vocal track to your range and downplay the same range in the non-vocal tracks.

The song is actually VERY good; the "movement" design of the song is evocative and fleshes out the emotion of the song, a very good technique. This helps classify the song as "alternative" rather than "pop". With a good engineer, you'd have marketable skills. I'm buying your first CD! :wink:

blain

Hi Harbringer,

I've always struggled to articulate things. Probably some of the artists I listen to dont and I also picked up the bad habit, doubled up with a NZ accent. Definitely have been aware of the problem and trying to work on it.

Thanks for the tips about vocal audio. I think I understood (more reading and practice needed). It would be great to work with an engineer, would make thing's easier for sure. It's such a huge field to learn.

Yep, on with a CD.