Effect Plugins and Volume

Started by GDT, August 09, 2009, 16:46:15

Previous topic - Next topic

GDT

Hello there - a couple of questions please:
1. volume - everything I am inputting, even though on v64 is coming out very low (global volume on 128 in general tab too) - is there anything else I can do to increase volume?
2. Because I was having problems with the volume, I thought I'd use the effect plug in for compressor (80.gain) as I could boost the gain here but I cannot seem to assign a different compressor rate per channel. In General Tab I put in FX1 Compressor and change the rate but when I go in to add another effect FX2 Compressor and input a different rate it changes it on the FX1 Compressor?? How do I assign a different effect with a different rate to each channel. On the output, it just shows "default" so how do you do?  :?:
Sorry if above very simple but not used modplug much
many thanks

LPChip

If you play the pattern/song, does the VU meter on the general tab also display a low volume? If not, you should not try to boost the volume unless you know how to do it. Try turning up your speaker volume instead (or maybe inside windows?)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

GDT

Hi LPChip
No, the volume in the VDU meters is also low but the sample plays much louder in other programs. Am I missing something?
I have tried compressing the channel which does make a difference but is this the only way? I am having trouble assigning a different effect plug in to each channel as when I change the rate on one channel in the effect plug in it changes the rate on all the other channels (??)
Thx for all your help

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

1) there's a pre-amp slider in the mpt setup....

2) you're most likely doing something wrong there...
you're only applying that compressor to the channels, not to the instruments, right?

if so your pattern window should look like this

which makes the general tab look like this

if possible avoid assigning the FX to both, instruments and channels, because you might get confused very easily. none of the effects (wheather it's dxi or vst) should affect each others settings.
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Saga Musix

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"1) there's a pre-amp slider in the mpt setup....
Don't touch it. Don't ask why, simply don't touch it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "Jojo"
Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"1) there's a pre-amp slider in the mpt setup....
Don't touch it. Don't ask why, simply don't touch it.

:lol:

LPChip

The pre-amp slider will not even work if you use RC3 mixmode. Otherwise, put it around 33% for the best quality.

If you go to the sampletab, is the sample maxed out, or is it only filling say... 20% vertically?

If the last, try pressing normalise on that sample and see if it helps.

Also, make sure the sample volume settings there are both 64.

(global volume and volume)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

QuoteIf the last, try pressing normalise on that sample and see if it helps.
I was going to say that he should use DC Offset Removal as well, but nooooo, that only exists in the SVN version. :D

Also, as long as you don't use VSTs, the mixmode is not important - you should use "Original" for more compatibility, though. But as soon as you use VSTs, you should definitely use Mixmode RC3.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

GDT

Hi all - thanks for your respective replies:
- the global volume and the sample volume are both the same at 64
- i am not using the instruments window - just sample window and pattern window
- i am trying to assign the fx just to the channel - not the instrument
- BooT-SectoR-ViruZ HELP! my pattern window and general tab look nothing like yours (see below) - am i using a different version ( :oops: )

- sample in sampletab is using filling much all vertically
- y'all have me too scared to use the pre-amp slider so don't think I'll go there...

Saga Musix

I wonder why you posted tiny thumbnails (320x233 pixels is really small), but I can see from the screenshots that you are using ModPlug Tracker 1.16 (or older), which has very bad VST support. I don't think that we still provide support for this old version here anymore as there's the improved open-source version OpenMPT.

GDT

Jojo - sorry for small thumbnails - vy embarrassed was on wrong version so wanted to keep my mistake as small as possible  :oops:
Am into new version so will try all again in there...
many thanks

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

this should pretty much explain the problems, since i vaguely recall various improvements being made to the volume handling since the ancient 1.16.....

'should look like this' was only referring to the channel header on the pattern tab and the channel-fx on the general tab, btw