NI release FREE Kontakt 3 Player

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, August 05, 2009, 11:31:45

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/kontakt-player/

Basically, it's a stripped-down version of Kontakt 3 -- definitely worth checking out! :D You can also get a 650MB selection of instruments from the standard K3 library.

Nahkranoth

And then you'll be tripping all over wanting to buy their numerous bloated 20 Gb samplepacks and stuff? Get out of my head, you ungodly Native Instruments!
Seriously I'd like to have some of these reduced to 48 kHz and half the size :D

LPChip

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm looking for a free sampler, and this might be my choise.

(my other will be converting the samples to SF2 and use sfz player XD
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

it seems that you can only use it for 30 mins with any library?

psishock

Quoteit seems that you can only use it for 30 mins with any library?
If that is the case, it would be really lame pull, from them.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

You probably have run into this:

KONTAKT PLAYER includes a demo version of KONTAKT 3.5. The demo mode can be activated for 30 minutes at a time during which you can use the full functional spectrum of KONTAKT 3.5.

Explore KONTAKT 3.5
Compare KONTAKT PLAYER with KONTAKT 3.5
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

so... what advantage to use kontakt player?

Perhaps I'm confused - I read the intro pdf.

PPH

I just downloaded and tested. It includes only seven instruments, none of which will change my life; at least not these versions.

EDIT: I find it much more comfortable to work with Modplug's built-in sampler than with VSTis. MUCH more. Everything is so much fluent.

EDIT2: it comes with a lot of wavs. That's nice. I like wavs.

EDIT3: I'd say the wavs are worth the download.

EDIT4: Check out Kore Sample Player too. It comes with even more sounds.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

psishock

PPH, even considered using a VSTi synthesizer? Just asking.

PPH

Quote from: "psishock"PPH, even considered using a VSTi synthesizer? Just asking.

Yes. But the music I do is mostly orchestral, so I don't use synths a lot. However, I do like them, and I have played around with several of them. I never finished a track that used a synth VSTi, though, I think (actually, I think I finished one, but using Renoise, not Modplug).

Like I said in the above post, VSTis are more cumbersome to me than simple samples. I became used to using Modplug Tracker and handling volume and stuff in the volume column, using the tracker's effects, etc. I even played around with Csound at some point and read a couple of books about sound synthesis. But never had the patience to actually make an entire track with VSTi synths.

I have a VSTi orchestral library too. But I find it easier to use ordinary samples than the VSTi. Sometimes I use the VSTi right aways, but more often, I make a song with ordinary, lower quality samples, then replace the instruments with the VSTi ones for final mixing.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

psishock

Most what you say makes sense to me. More cumbersome in a way, yes, because you need more knowledge how to handle the sound without the embed tracer effects, but it pays back i think, because you'll eventually have a lot more control, once you understand the way it works. I think it's a matter of practice, i can work even faster with VST instruments and effects, than i did with samples and tracker embed ones in the "old times". I guess it all matters, how deep you want to go with controls, messing with the sounds. If the ones that the tracker and the embed sampler offers are enough for you, it should be ok. Planning to release any recent works... or half-works?

PPH

Quote from: "psishock"Most what you say makes sense to me. More cumbersome in a way, yes, because you need more knowledge how to handle the sound without the embed tracer effects, but it pays back i think, because you'll eventually have a lot more control, once you understand the way it works. I think it's a matter of practice, i can work even faster with VST instruments and effects, than i did with samples and tracker embed ones in the "old times". I guess it all matters, how deep you want to go with controls, messing with the sounds. If the ones that the tracker and the embed sampler offers are enough for you, it should be ok. Planning to release any recent works... or half-works?

Yes, I agree. It is a matter of practice. I do know how synths work, at least in theory (I read tons of stuff on synthesis and digital sound processing; heck, I even played around with Csound, which is quite geeky). I'm not planning any specific release, but I guess once I finish something "release-worthy", I will. I do have published tracks in case you're curious:

http://www.ctgmusic.com/artist.php?id=422
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

psishock

Yes, even your "old" stuffs satisfies me, most of them can't even be downloaded because of 404, but from what i've heard, they're quite powerfully composed indeed. I think if you work with "live instrument" samples, like the orchestral ones, you can bypass the vsti-s without any handicap, because there are a very specific way how should they "sound", mostly you don't want to alter that, every instrument has it's characteristic sounding.

bvanoudtshoorn

At the same time, though, Psi, I find that when I'm working with orchestral stuff, using a sampler like Kontakt can make life a lot easier. Velocity-layers, round-robin repitition, legato, and so on are all *far* easier to achieve using Kontakt than it would be using just OpenMPT's sampling capabilities.

Saga Musix

Yes, that's one of the biggest advantages and maybe also disadvantages of every tracker: The ability to control every detail of a note. And that it has to be done by hand.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.