Did you know that demoscene is a secretive criminal society?

Started by Louigi Verona, August 04, 2009, 06:43:54

Previous topic - Next topic

g

I think the title of your post should be "Did you know that warez scene is a secretive criminal society?".

Saga Musix

Boo, how can you confuse fairlight cracks with fairlight demos? The people behind those are not the same (though one group origins from the other of course). Thanks for correcting g.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

If you read the article carefully, you will see that the article mixes the two effectively.

Also read here:
http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=5278&page=1&x=19&y=9

Saga Musix

as you might have seen, i have even participated in that thread over a year ago, so... old news :\
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Saga Musix

Louigi Verona

What is the point of repeatedly telling me that it is old news? Can't I post a topic about something that is not new or is this a news site?

Saga Musix

psishock

I am not a pouet addict, and haven't heard of this "news", so i thank LV for posting it. It's somewhat a common phenomena however, that ppl are misunderstanding and mixing totally different stuff (warez scene/demo scene) if they're not really in the picture. The bad stuff is, that ppl, who read these news in papers, and have no knowledge about these stuff neither, will believe the written (mis)information, and will learn/spread it that way.

QuoteSorry, am I not allowed to have fun?
well sure you do, but it seemed that LV didn't felt, that you're just messing with him. :P
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

the connection is justified because demos were created to show off the skills of the people making the warez back in the days of 8 bit computing.

the demo community came from the warez community - at one time they were the same community.

Saga Musix

Well, as for "normal" people, they don't even get the chance to mix the two up - because most of them are not even aware of the existance of the demoscene. At most, they know Cracktros with stolen scenemusic.

psishock

you're saying uncloned, that the same people who actually cracked the protection codes, coded the 2d/3d animations and designed the artistic demo runs? These two profession needs totally different technical knowledge imho. (ok programming - programming, but that's a hugely wide area)

Saga Musix

You may think so but that's wrong. It was in fact the crackers who added intros to their cracked games. Later, those intros became independent. And there was nothing like 3D or "design" back then.

psishock

well i know what ya mean, but those scrolling cracktro-s are one thing to me, and "demos" are yet totally different (we had/have many cool 2s stuff, don't have to think about the 3d only, it was just an example). I think it probably "divided" when we stopped talking about "crackto group introductions" and started to think about the artistic demonstrations.