VSTi Effects Support?

Started by low_tech_eclectic, July 27, 2009, 03:16:44

Previous topic - Next topic

low_tech_eclectic

I recently started playing with VSTi in my IT mods, after learning about how to set them up in this thread.  But I noticed that I don't have as much control over VSTi output as I do with samples.  For example, when trying to use pitch bending (exx/fxx, either in the volume or effects column) some instruments will only rise or lower a few pitches, and some not at all.  Similarly I can't seem to set their volume directly, use volume slides, tremolo, or really any effects.  Is there a way to use VSTi and still have effects and volume control?  So far I've tried GTG kwop 7, Pink, and Abakos if that helps.

bvanoudtshoorn

VSTis work on MIDI messages. OpenMPT only sends through a certain set of MIDI messages to VSTis, though, and different plugins interpret them differently.

Velocity: vXX [volumn column]
Pitch bend: eXX || fXX [volume column]
Automation: SFx && (Zxx || \xx) [effects column]

So to answer your question, no, most of what you can do with samples in OpenMPT can't be done directly to VSTis. This is also because each VSTi just sends back a stereo audio signal -- OpenMPT can't differentiate between voices in the VSTi, so any post-processing would have to be done to the plugin's entire output.

LPChip

Also:

Do note that even while you can pitchbend using Exx and Fxx, it will only send the pitchbend Midi CC to the plugin. If the plugin itself only has support for a short pitchbend range, you'll have to learn to live with it.

Alternativelly, you can create a new song, put your VSTi's in it, create a pattern that plays one tone for say... 2 seconds and save it as wav. Use that as sample for your song.

Additionally, you can use Zxx (Midi CC's) to control many parameters of your plugin.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

low_tech_eclectic

Yeah, I was thinking I might just play the tone and then export as wav, just wanted to see if there was a way around that.  The VSTis I'm using can only pitch bend a couple semitones or not at all, and don't respond to volume, portamento, et al.

I'm a bit confused about the Zxx comment, because I thought all that did was low-pass filter from Z00 to Z7f, and then resonance filter from there to Zff.  Am I missing something?

psishock

Quote from: "low_tech_eclectic"Am I missing something?
Quite a lot actually. :D Zxx and \xx are the roots of VST(i) automation in OMPT. Exporting it to sample should no be the solution, you will limit yourself yet again, rather learn the new extended possibilities.

May i suggest: http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3187.0
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

low_tech_eclectic

Thanks, that explains it perfectly.  Unfortunately one of the VSTis I'm using doesn't like it when I feed volume changes, but otherwise things are coming along nicely.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "low_tech_eclectic"Thanks, that explains it perfectly.  Unfortunately one of the VSTis I'm using doesn't like it when I feed volume changes, but otherwise things are coming along nicely.
the only way around this afaik: use a Zxx macro for plugin wet/dry ratio
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

LPChip

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"
Quote from: "low_tech_eclectic"Thanks, that explains it perfectly.  Unfortunately one of the VSTis I'm using doesn't like it when I feed volume changes, but otherwise things are coming along nicely.
the only way around this afaik: use a Zxx macro for plugin wet/dry ratio

But do note, if you alter the wet/dry ration of a plugin, ALL notes currently playing are being altered. You change the output volume of the plugin, not of the individual note.

But ofcource, you can always load your VSTi twice and just have 2 instances for the same sound with different settings. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs