VST control messages vs MIDI messages

Started by Harbinger, July 24, 2009, 21:40:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Technical question for the manual:

What is the difference between how MPT controls VSTs and external MIDI devices?
Are they the same function, except one is software-driven and the other is device-driven?
Are parameter controls for VSTs simply glorified MIDI data, or are MIDI messages simply a specific set of parameter controls?

Saga Musix

Am I missing something? Since when is OpenMPT capable of addressing external MIDI hardware? :P
BTW, VSTs are controlled by MIDI as well. MPT passes parameter data to plugins just like any other host, so the best part to find out the details would be the Steinberg docs.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Uh-oh. And i did a write-up on using MIDI devices in the upcoming manual... :oops:

MPT can NOT work with MIDI instruments?? Isn't that what the CC assignments are for? I thought you could input notes from an external keyboard?

Help me understand what MPT can and cannot do with MIDI. :o

LPChip

Indeed, OpenMPT cannot send its midi data to a Midi out port.

It can only send it to plugins. The only reason is that there is no external midi port selector.

You can however, use a VSTi to access the external hardware.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

VST2MID from the "midibag" can do this indeed. However, it can't send all stuff (or it simply doesn't receive all stuff from OpenMPT). Works well enough for my purposes, though.

QuoteIsn't that what the CC assignments are for?
As I said before, VSTs work by sending and receiving MIDI data - hence why VSTis are called "virtual synthesizers" - so you can also pass CC data to them.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

OKay. I think i have VST2MID somewhere in my VST folder. I'll see what i can do with that. Any tips on using that for MIDI devices would be helpful, Jojo.

So i wanna make sure i understand correctly: VST parameter control messages are simply plain-old MIDI messages?

Saga Musix

Quote. I'll see what i can do with that. Any tips on using that for MIDI devices would be helpful, Jojo.
I dunno what I should recommend here. I plugged my synth in and it worked. If something doesn't work, simply send it as a MIDI CC and it will work, hopefully.

QuoteVST parameter control messages are simply plain-old MIDI messages?
As far as I can tell, yes.