One Voice Compo

Started by Louigi Verona, January 29, 2006, 17:37:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

I don't get it. Why is 'one voice' not the same as 'only one instrument' ?

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I don't get it. Why is 'one voice' not the same as 'only one instrument' ?

Because one instrument may be piano - it can produce more notes. One voice is more challenging, is it not? (btw, I want to hold next compo as One Instrument, so you could write a solo instrument music, like for piano)

The idea of OVC came from listening to a lot of traditional music. It's usually a song, so it's one voice, since a man's voice can't produce chords. And usually a song is accompanied by chords. There's the idea. I was adviced, next time I run OVC, not to include that chord rule, since the melody can be harmonised and chored in various different ways, so it's not essential, only gets things complicated.

:)

apple-joe

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"
Because one instrument may be piano - it can produce more notes.
And so might people do in this compo, obviously. One backing note/chord + one melody note sounds like several notes to me. Hence the confusion I think.

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"One voice is more challenging, is it not? (btw, I want to hold next compo as One Instrument, so you could write a solo instrument music, like for piano)
Yes, but it would be even more challenging if one could apply one note at a time - what so ever; meaning no backing music. However, the next compo idea sounds very interesting. One instrument compo - and you're free to do what ever as long as you stick to that instrument, correct?

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"The idea of OVC came from listening to a lot of traditional music. It's usually a song, so it's one voice, since a man's voice can't produce chords. And usually a song is accompanied by chords. There's the idea. I was adviced, next time I run OVC, not to include that chord rule, since the melody can be harmonised and chored in various different ways, so it's not essential, only gets things complicated.

:)

I see. I've gotten a certain interest for classical music lately myself. I have listened mostly to rock, blues and some funk - even jazz. Not much classical, however, but I'm about to change it. I'm interested in music theory, and I'd like to explore the approach of the classical masterminds.

apple-joe

Ant news about the compo?

Louigi Verona

Today is the last day to submit your tunes!!!

Snu

aw snap, i wanted to write a violin piece for it, but was lazy... oh well...

Louigi Verona

well, if this works out well, I will start a similar compo, so you'll have your chance, Snu.

apple-joe

OK, what will happen now?

Louigi Verona

we will all wait for the judges to do their work. many people I have contacted while the compo was still running declined due to various reasons, so I have to find additional people for this. The results may take some time before appearing on the site.

also, you may all be ready to join the next compo, which I will run soon after OVC. :)

speed-goddamn-focus

I'm sure we'll get to read all about it in the next issue of cheap newspaper, right?

Louigi Verona

:D ah, you still remember my small project... nah, dunno... I kinda thought that not really many people read it, so why bother... But I was always very touched, when ppl told me they liked it. I quess I just got a little bored with it and needed a challenge, so I started OVC! ;)

apple-joe

How many will judge the songs? 1,3,5?

apple-joe

Any progress on the judging?

Louigi Verona

I could find only 3 people to judge. 2 have handed in their votings, one is awaited somewhere later today. I will also probably manage to hire the 4-th and 5-th judge today - some people whose opinion on music and whose tastes I admire. If not, there will be only three...

I think it's quite okay for OVC running only for the first time.

apple-joe