One Voice Compo

Started by Louigi Verona, January 29, 2006, 17:37:17

Previous topic - Next topic

apple-joe

Hm - I used one sound through-out the entire piece. I don't really see any point in including several sound samples when you are not allowed to play them simultaneously anyway. Well, at least I restricted myself and got to practice using limited resources.

Sam_Zen

I expected this to be restricted to tracker things, but I read that it could also be a live recording.
So I added a short impro once made with my analog synth : Introvert.
EDIT: I checked the 11 contributions so far, and the 'one voice' concept sometimes seems to rather fuzzy.
And this collection again shows the efficiency of tracker-modules in the matter of filesize.

Louigi Verona

QuoteLet me say that I occasionally suffered badly from the fact that we may only use one sample

That's exactly what I wanted! So while you are suffering, try to put all your energy into composing a good melody. Just imagine - no more caring about the drums, the basses, the sound quality. Yeah... :)

Sam_Zen: yes, the one voice concept is in some entries kinda hidden, but you, guys from Modplug, have submitted very nice entries, which are really one voice and don't violate rules!!!

Besides, it's the first time OVC is running, so perhaps it's okay.

apple-joe

Yesterday I listened to a few of the entires, and I was a little shocked by the sound quality and high level of composing. Or to put it in another way; In the context, my own contribution might be a lttle vague, or random/rushed, if you want. I'll consider creating another attempt, a little more controlled/styled.

Louigi Verona

I think 1up's entry is a wow

apple-joe

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"I think 1up's entry is a wow

Yes, fantastic entry. However, I can hear .many notes playing simultaneously. Yet, I have to admit that my admiration of the work exceeds the rule violation.

Louigi Verona

QuoteHowever, I can hear .many notes playing simultaneously

I think you are mistaken. 1up played a flute (it is a live recording) and flute cannot make more then 1 note at a time. Also, I listened a lot to this tune and don't hear any rule violations - he got a 1 voice flute melody and strings show chords. All's well.

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"
QuoteHowever, I can hear .many notes playing simultaneously

I think you are mistaken. 1up played a flute (it is a live recording) and flute cannot make more then 1 note at a time. Also, I listened a lot to this tune and don't hear any rule violations - he got a 1 voice flute melody and strings show chords. All's well.

The strings clearly play 3 notes at once. What I understand from the rules, is that you can only have one note from a second instrument to denote the chord. So I see that as a violation. But if you can have full chords with several notes, then perhaps I should create another entry to fully put the possibilities in place. I think having a chord makes it easier because your melody will allways sound better. If you have some empty parts (like in 1up's intro) its not empty anymore. Even better, using counteracting chords with an inversed melody line will get an exciting feeling upon listening. With a one note for chord attenuation, you can't get that.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"The strings clearly play 3 notes at once. What I understand from the rules, is that you can only have one note from a second instrument to denote the chord. So I see that as a violation. But if you can have full chords with several notes, then perhaps I should create another entry to fully put the possibilities in place. I think having a chord makes it easier because your melody will allways sound better. If you have some empty parts (like in 1up's intro) its not empty anymore. Even better, using counteracting chords with an inversed melody line will get an exciting feeling upon listening. With a one note for chord attenuation, you can't get that.
You misunderstood the rules.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

apple-joe

Louigi Verona

QuoteWhat I understand from the rules, is that you can only have one note from a second instrument to denote the chord

Chords cannot be shown with a single note!!! Chord are several notes played at the same time!!!
Your melody should be 1 voice, but your second instrument that merely shows chord changes, of course can play several notes at the same time!

Ugh... I dunno... I thought the rules were simple to get, but I quess I did something wrong... Maybe couldn't find better words...

First instr: main melody, 1 voice.
Second instr: shows chords, can play many notes at a time. Just make sure it's not a subtheme of some sort, but just shows chords.

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"First instr: main melody, 1 voice.
Second instr: shows chords, can play many notes at a time. Just make sure it's not a subtheme of some sort, but just shows chords.

:shock:  :o Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh :!:  :!:  :!:

That simple huh? 8)  

:lol:

apple-joe

I've still uploaded one entry only. I might deliver another one with chords in the background soon.

Louigi Verona

I've uploaded my entry. You can see what I meant by the rules of the compo. Violin plays 1 voice melody, piano shows chord changes.