Improved selection in the pattern editor

Started by pernyblom, July 15, 2009, 21:06:36

Previous topic - Next topic

pernyblom

I would like the following features:

* Shortcut for selecting a row
* Shortcut for selecting a section

I think that these two improvements would save a lot of time.

Suggestions for the design:
* shift+ctrl+left/right grows the selection to first a section and if one presses another time, to a whole row. But one can also have a direct shortcut for selecting sections and rows.

Saga Musix

what is a section?
to select a row fastly, i simply use Home and then Ctrl+End. But it might not hurt to add such a shortcut.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

pernyblom

What I meant with a section was [note + instrument + volume + effect commands] in a single channel. Put in another way: all information that you can specify for a single step in a single channel.

I often use shift+left/right several times for selecting such a "section" when I want to remove all of that information or prepare for a selection of several rows in just one channel.

Harbinger

Use the term "event" for your "section". An event is a single note or control operation (like a MIDI message) and all the things that affect it in one channel at the same time.

You can delete an event in one shot, but that's the extent of whole-event modifications while the cursor is in one field.

I think a "Select Event" would be helpful, in case you want to move, copy, or paste it. It would select the event that the cursor was in no matter what field it occupied.

Saga Musix

it's not really an event either. I'd say it's an "item".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Both shortcuts have been added to the latest test build, but are not bound to any keys by default: http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe