VST users: Need write ups

Started by Harbinger, July 11, 2009, 05:12:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

One of the things i'd like to include in the Help Manual is a section on using specific VSTs (both FX and instruments) with MPT -- how to get the most out of them, known issues, what situations they're good for, etc.  It would be like a "How-to" guide for VSTs and MPT. The only help i can imagine needing is for complicated or problem-laden VSTs.

The REASON i'd like to do this is threefold:
1. Attract new users with an ease into using VSTs with MPT.
2. Attract veteran VST users with simple conversion to MPT.
3. Something of a sell for trackers/musicians wondering why they should D/L MPT!

If you consider yourself very knowledgeable about a certain VST or two, write up a document on how to make the most of it using MPT. Pictures will be even better too. Keep in mind, this will be in an Appendix of the Manual and maybe make it to the Wiki. I may also edit it to give it that "official" feel.

You can also provide links if very good docs or web pages already exist.

There are no deadlines but i should be done with the OHM in less than a month...

If you plan to contribute, mention it here or PM me. Just lemme know what you'll be working on, roughly when it should be ready, and the format  (.doc, .html, etc) that you'll submit under. :wink:

bvanoudtshoorn

I'll do Kontakt 3 and Xlutop Chainer. :) What format would you prefer?

Harbinger

Pick the one you feel the most comfortable writing in. If we need a conversion to a more universal format, we'll either ask or do it ourselves. 8)

Harbinger

BTW, i wanted to be clear about what i'm looking for to include in the Offline Help Manual.

I don't need a full-fledged manual on the VSTs, but rather a liaison article on using the VST with ModPlug Tracker, especially on things that may not be so obvious or issues that might come up during use (for example, "if i use Chainer in MPT, how does that affect my CPU usage with all those VSTs loaded?" -- things like that).

Myself, i will be writing an article on using the Korg M1, which has multichannel capabilities, and maybe the INTRO VSTi, which has some issues with MPT.

BTW, thanks bvan for offering your help. I look forward to your articles. :wink:

LPChip

I don't think we need to cover different VST's although for some we could add a note.

Xlutop is the only plugin I can see as an exception, because it usually helps using this plugin if the plugin doesn't load in OpenMPT, and due to its functionality, you can see it as an extension to OpenMPT.

There's one thing that you need to know about Xlutop though...

It works better for VSTi's than for VST's due to the architecture difference.

For instance, if you use the Chainer VST, the midi channel data is ignored entirelly, unless you use VSTi's inside aswell. This means that you can't really use the 10 busses to mix inside Chainer.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Harbinger

Quote from: "LPChip"I don't think we need to cover different VST's although for some we could add a note.

I agree. I want to add a sort of Quick Help for VSTs that have issues with MPT, or otherwise need workarounds. Kontakt as i understand has a multitude of features that require special handling when using MPT. The same with Chainer, which VASTLY increases MPT's capabilities. But little things like you mentioned need to be included in the article, to better understand how to work with it in MPT's context.

There are only a few other VSTs that need special mention because of how they handle control data or audio.

LPChip

And perhaps mentionworthy free VST's that are so good that everyone should have them.

For instance the Electri-Q Posifopit edition VST is one everyone should have. The plugin brings so much quality and easy to your music... (its a parametric EQ)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Mentionworthy free VST plugins would be for example:
http://sagamusix.de/vst-plugins/
Most of the are rather good and can be used in many modules. No need to mention the JS series or MB puncher, though.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

They're good plugs!

I would recommend these plugins too:

Very good and easy to use limiter that brings instant result and is easy to gasp.:
http://www.x-buz.com/BuzMaxi3_download.html

Compressor suite with 8 plugins to do just that. Mono and stereo versions are available, so you get 4 different plugins. Takes a bit of playing around in them to understand em though, but I get good results in them. Also the quality is the best I've seen for a free compressor suite.:
http://www.x-buz.com/BuzCompFree_download.html