Advice a good but not too known forum engine

Started by Louigi Verona, July 02, 2009, 07:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Guys, can you advice a forum engine that would deliver the usual functionality but at the same time not be so known as phpBB and thus have too many known holes.

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Guys, can you advice a forum engine that would deliver the usual functionality but at the same time not be so known as phpBB and thus have too many known holes.

Make your own. ;)

If you want a good and secure one, take the latest phpBB of version 2, like this forum. I'm running it like for a year now, without having to update. Its very secure.

Applying a mod to stop spambots is easy too. I haven't had spammers ever since I applied that mod.

Alternativelly, I can recommend SMF. Although I still get updates, I haven't experienced hacks on my forums running SMF, and updating SMF really is a breeze. You go to the admin panel and it says: "Hey, there's an update available. Click here to install it." You click it, and a minute later you're running the latest version. No ftp/mod/program skills required.

If you don't want that, go for a paid forumpackage, like punBB
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

Interesting. So you are saying that phpBB2 is secure? Because I heard (and read) that it has a lot of holes.

Rakib

^^

Louigi Verona

It also looks proprietary and using Adobe proprietary technology, so sparbb is a no-no.

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Interesting. So you are saying that phpBB2 is secure? Because I heard (and read) that it has a lot of holes.

The latest 2.x version is indeed very secure. I haven't had an update for this in almost a year, and I haven't been hacked anymore either. I also have googled for holes for my version, but I just can't find any. For older versions I was alble to find them.

I also know that the authors went on to 3 making all the new features there, but tried to make a very secure build for 2 first. They succeeded and a few versions earlier than the one I'm now using, they already closed almost all holes. The only updates they did were security updates. I'm confident that they've fixed all the holes present, and if they find new holes they'll do an update to fix that. They simply won't be adding features, so the version will not be changing that much if at all.

EDIT: ok, appearantly phpBB 2 is no longer available for download. I guess I could look through my harddrive to see if I can get you my install files for the version I'm using...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Many phpBB2 mods are very insecure actually. I'd recommend SMF.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.