Ability to select several patterns

Started by Rakib, June 23, 2009, 00:37:51

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

@LP & Jojo: From what I understand, if your pattern sequence goes [4][4], then using the 'echo paste' in the first [4] will paste it over the top of second [4], which is what LP's after.

To be honest, I think that this is actually more than just an 'echo paste' -- perhaps we could relabel it as 'overflow paste' or something. :)

Saga Musix

Ok, if you draw me a 16x16 icon with "overflow" or something like that, we can talk about it again :P Actually, that's a much better wording. thanks for the hint.

@RWP: It is very unlikely that more patterns will be allowed again in upcoming versions, sorry.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

Another thought (which I do not care for as much) is the row quantity being increased. The pattern break allows breaking up to row 65,536 (256² and 64 × 1,024), so that is an option. Something else that is an occasional problem is the position jump. It is not affected by the x-parameter effect. That would be vital if the number of [extended (more than 64 rows)] patterns exceeds 256.

Rakib

RWP, maybe take those request on a new topic?
^^

Saga Musix

Oh, we're well aware of his requests already... Doesn't make them easier to implement, though.

However, if you want, you can try out the latest unstable OpenMPT build to see how selecting multiple orders works:
http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe
Be aware, though, that this an unstable version, all kinds of weird things may happen. Well, maybe not, but you have been warned at least. I don't recommend using it yet, but trying out the new features (esp. the order stuff) would be appreciated.

I'm aware of the fact that the selection can not be "unselected" by clicking on either the first or last order of the selection. Everything else should work in theory, though.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

Down to one channel and one row, eh? That is interesting (but not bad). Actually, the one row thing is rather good because that is how many I have to use from time time. I see though that you forgot to change that display. It reads "1 rows" instead of "1 row." Something odd:  When I make the first pattern one row, subsequent patterns have 32 rows instead of one. I am not sure what the PC, PCs, and double circumflex accent note things are though. I assuming that the double tide (~~) one is for the note cut (I believe that it was a single tilde before.). As for the part about hard, implement actions the more than 4,000 pattern feature has already been used, so I do not see why you could not simply reuse that code in this version. Other than the sequential limit, this version is great! OK, I figured out what those items are (and feel somewhat sad because I do remember the note cut being represented by circumflex accents. I guess the representation of it as two circumflex accents instead of the words note cut in the dropdown is what threw me for a loop. Again, this is not bad, it is just somthing that I noticed and found odd. I do not look at the status bar too often. Now the mystery is what the parameter control things do. That I am still unsure of.

Saga Musix

Oh well, I didn't expect so much off-topic feedback, but it has to be answered somewhere and the thread is already kind of "done", I'll try to answer everything here:

QuoteI see though that you forgot to change that display. It reads "1 rows" instead of "1 row."
I guess you mean in the pattern properties. I've fixed that now. If you found it somewhere else, please let me know.

QuoteSomething odd: When I make the first pattern one row, subsequent patterns have 32 rows instead of one.
Thanks for the heads-up about this one, I knew that something like this would still be present somewhere.

QuoteI am not sure what the PC, PCs (...) are
It's the new "param control" notes which can be used to control... well... plugin params. Relabs might elaborate on those as soon as the implementation is fully done.

Quote(...)and double circumflex accent note things are
Aheeem . ^^ notes are Note Cut, they have been there forever. However, the ~~ was not. ~~ is not Note Cut, it's Note Fade (but works like Note Cut in sample mode). There was nothing like a single tilde before. Actually, Note Fade existed in Impulse Tracker but you were not able to input it in the editor, so SchismTracker and OpenMPT (and also XMPlay) added support for those Note Fade commands lately - Obviously only for the IT (and MPTM) format. Modules using Note Fade commands will sound correct in Impulse Tracker, but you won't be able to enter this command yourself in its editor.

QuoteAs for the part about hard, implement actions the more than 4,000 pattern feature has already been used, so I do not see why you could not simply reuse that code in this version.
It might not have caused problems for you, but it was very problematic anyway, and mostly untested. As said, this is only an unstable development version, so it might come back, but the changes are rather low ATM.

QuoteI guess the representation of it as two circumflex accents instead of the words note cut in the dropdown is what threw me for a loop.
Yes, this is a bit unfortunate but a lot of code has been changed recently because of the Param Controls, and this was one (unintended? I dunno) part of the changes.

Really Weird Person

I know, you are probably going to hate me for putting here, but, bug report.
It would appear that if the pattern row (in the pattern editor) is in focus, and horizontal scrolling is done on the mouse:
1. The selection is not seen right away.
2. When going to a pattern beyond what is visible, the list display does not change. The pattern number itsef does, but in the list display, it does not. For example, if you can see patterns 13 - 38 and you go to pattern 40 with the Go To... function, you still see patterns 13 - 38 instead of 15 - 41 (maybe 40 or 42, but that is not as relevant).
I am not exactly sure if I am clear enough on this report, but I try to be as clear-cut as I can.

Saga Musix

As those don't appear bugs specific to this temporary build, yes, I will hate you for not posting them in the bug reports section - Especially since the first bug report is too short for me to comprehend what you mean. About the 2nd bug, I can't seem to reproduce this, Goto goes directly to the order in the order list as well.

Really Weird Person

That first part of the report (which I maybe did make too short, I did not realize that until I read your post.) is referring to when multiple patterns are selected. For example, if the last pattern is selected and horizontal scrolling is used on the mouse to go to the beginning, the selection is not seen right away (but the cotext menu is still correct). If the scroll bar is used, however, all of the patterns are visibly blue (indicating their selection). If this does not help, then helping may be a challenge.

Really Weird Person

I used the echo paste to see what it did. That is excellent. It pastes data into the next pattern (for example, if you paste a pattern on row 33, the second half of it is automatically moved to the next pattern). Something that I found odd about it though is that when you undo the paste, it is undone as two separate actions. I thought that was odd.

Saga Musix

Yes it is odd but it can not be done better atm.

Saga Musix

Ok, feature implemented in the new test version. If anything is going wrong, please tell us to re-open this request.