Ability to select several patterns

Started by Rakib, June 23, 2009, 00:37:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"I suppose that the ability to duplicate an entire pattern row would be the equivalent of copying and pasting it. In that case, go ahead and do that (if you can). Of course, it would probably not do me much good (unless the pattern quantity was increased).
No it's not, because one thing works directly in MPT, while the other uses the Windows clipboard. Currently, MPT can only handle one pattern in the clipboard, so I will just try to implement duplicate / insert / move for now.
I got deleting working already, but marking doesn't work correctly yet; or well... marking works, but when you select another pattern after marking, the order list might look very weird...

Doesn't this make you drool? :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

That screenshot certainly shows the feature's potential. I am not sure that copying the +++ patterns would do much good, but that is beside the point. Something that I found odd:  When the focus is not the pattern workspace (where the notes, instruments, and effects are), I can use Writing Pad (a feature of Tablet PC Input Panel) to insert characters, but when the workspace is in focus, that does not work. By the way, what format is imf? I do not believe that I recognize that one. I do not seem to find it in the file list, so perhaps it is a new format. Perhaps it will support more than 4,000 patterns. That would be a good thing. Let's see here... 16,974 ÷ 16 = 1,060.875. With the program's current status, that does me no good. The position jump only allows jumping up to pattern 256. In addition to that, I like to watch the patterns go one by one (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...) anyway.

Saga Musix

Quotewhat format is imf? I do not believe that I recognize that one.
Imago Orpheus, I've finished the imf loader yesterday.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

Oh, I see
Is it similar to some of the existing formats (such as IT)?

Rakib

Quote from: "Jojo".

Doesn't this make you drool? :P

It certainly does. I hope you really make it!
^^

Saga Musix

I got everything working so far except duplicate patterns and obviously copy / paste. I just had an idea... With the new echo paste mode (which was intended for echos), a "multi-pattern paste" is already possible, so I might get multi-pattern copy&paste working somehow.

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"Oh, I see
Is it similar to some of the existing formats (such as IT)?
The tracker looks like ScreamTracker and ImpulseTracker (textmode with custom chars, waveform visualization like in IT, borders like in ST3) and works a bit like a combination of IT and FT2. In some points it's as advanced as IT, in some points it's more like FT2 and sometimes it's even better than the two, because it also supports reverb and chorus and a bunch of effects that luckily nobody (?) used so it's not too bad that they're missing in MPT's (and SchismTracker's) loader.

Rakib

^^

Saga Musix

Echo paste continues to paste in the next pattern if the past data is going beyond the pattern end. It got its name because... well, it's mostly useful for creating echo channels (no need to fill up the first few rows of the echo channel with a second paste anymore). You can see the new "toggle echo paste" button in the toolbar in the screenshot above.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"Echo paste continues to paste in the next pattern if the past data is going beyond the pattern end. It got its name because... well, it's mostly useful for creating echo channels (no need to fill up the first few rows of the echo channel with a second paste anymore). You can see the new "toggle echo paste" button in the toolbar in the screenshot above.

Wouldn't it be more usefull to get everything that is cut-off from that pattern be pasted at the top of the current?

I always duplicate my patterns, so I only need to make the echo once, and then add the notes at the top anyway.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

Rakib

Echo sounds nice, but I think it would be better to have it as a tick in the preferences view and not in the pattern view.
^^

Saga Musix

LPChip, how would that be useful for an echo?! I've done this on request by ko0x, and it's exactly like he wanted it and I think it's very useful this way. It's not like the echo of the next pattern has to be same as the echo of the current pattern.

Saga Musix

Rakib: It's both in the preferences and on the pattern editor, because I found it a bit dangerous sometimes to use echopaste so I wanted an option to turn it off quickly.

Really Weird Person

Jojo:  That seems reasonable. Just out of curiosity: When do you think that the new version will be available (likely through SourceForge)? Something that would make this feature worthwhile for me is an increase in the pattern limit. That is the sole reason why I do not use version .53 to make my songs. I have it on my computer because it opens MO3 files. Version .52 does not do that. More often than not the LCM (Least Common Multiple) of the numbers is greater than 4,000. This is especially true if the numbers have to be multiplied together. That generally happens if:
1. Any or all of the numbers is prime
2. There are pattern breaks (which I tend to refer to as cuts) involved (and if the breaks are not exactly half, there will be additional multiplication involved)
What I mean by that is this: When the break is exactly half (32 rows), I simply double that song's length and multiply by whatever is needed. I the break is on row 24, I must multiply those numbers and then multiply that result by eight.