RIPPER Detected!!! BEWARE. (read for more info)

Started by LPChip, January 25, 2006, 20:12:28

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I've talked to some of the CTG Staff, and this is what they told me:

Its easy to recognise that these songs are stolen, cus this dude forget to change the original ID3 Tags.

For instance:

http://www.freewebtown.com/dj_enis/djenis-enough.mp3

This song was originaly made by Chris Micali which is signed by another label.

He did changed ID3 tags, but not all so if you request them, the original ID3 tags become visible. This is for all songs!
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

nickythenose

I have only just descovered this thread. Serious shit. I hate the rippers! Its not nice at all. i will keep my eyes out for the tags on what I am downloading

Nickythenose

Sam_Zen

2 MisterX
I was aware of the fact, that the 'head-line' is not fullproof, but, sorry, didn't mention it. In cases of this, I think that every percentage helps.

Quote from: "Snu"if the ripper had just the mp3s, and the rip-ee had the original modules, it would be a pretty straight forward case i think.
Good point for people to realize. The compression is lossy, so the conversion backwards never can reproduce exactly the same bytes as the original. It's obvious with a module, but this is also valid for the exported wav-file of the tracker.
For the same reason I have an archive of originals, before I burn the tracks on the Cd's I publish, which are a little bit different. There are several tricks to do this without altering the sound of the track. Example :
Set a filter or equalizer to 'flat', and save the result as another named wav. It will sound exactly the same, but some bytes will be slightly different. This also is an irreversible proces.

Dj Cruk CHIKIN

Is he on the www.modarchive.com rippers list? If not, then they should be informed... cuz.... ALOT of ppl know of that site.
Eat... Its good for you.

goor00

Sad to hear that there are still so many of these darned rippers... I had expected that with the era of encoded audio, this would at least flat down a bit. But it looks even worse (and making even just a few bucks with someone elses hard work is a crime and doesn't just break intellectual copyright laws.. it goes beyond that).

One of my fellow collegues (GDream, some might know him), experienced a similar problem a while back... a guy stole 4 or 5 of his tracks (mp3 encoded) and was selling these on mp3.com.. retagged and retitled. Worst was, even after contacting mp3.com and complaining about this abuse, the tracks weren't removed, they didn't even try to sort out whether it was true or not.

There are really sick people out there..

PPH

Quote from: "MisterX"
Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"It's hard for any government to enforce federal laws on a global network,  so we are infact just plain screwed  :cry:

The first mistake would be relying on government to be the solution to anything...  :lol:

:D
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "goor00"Sad to hear that there are still so many of these darned rippers... I had expected that with the era of encoded audio, this would at least flat down a bit. But it looks even worse (and making even just a few bucks with someone elses hard work is a crime and doesn't just break intellectual copyright laws.. it goes beyond that).

One of my fellow collegues (GDream, some might know him), experienced a similar problem a while back... a guy stole 4 or 5 of his tracks (mp3 encoded) and was selling these on mp3.com.. retagged and retitled. Worst was, even after contacting mp3.com and complaining about this abuse, the tracks weren't removed, they didn't even try to sort out whether it was true or not.

There are really sick people out there..

I remember GDream, he made a cool song "Laura Dance To The Music" that I still listen to. Whatever happened to him?
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

its pretty hard to believe someone will actually feel GOOD about ripping other people's tracks for fame, but believe me they get a real big boner out of it, and mostly they're even underaged most likely. They dont yet get it that soon their plans will fall apart because of simple things like, real ID3 tags squeezing through, all ripped songs sound actually too different from eachother that it couldn't be made by one and the same person, etc etc.

I don't feel a big threat for him ripping my music, because:
A) he mainly ripps music i dislike highly
B) IF he intends to ripp my music, i'll eventually find out, and bomb his ass and the people that like him so much with the good ol' powerfull "source file". Simply if he doesnt have the source file, he's gonna be screwed by the one who has it. Just keep an eye on him and his 'releases', and let his world collaps all by itself

goor00

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"
I remember GDream, he made a cool song "Laura Dance To The Music" that I still listen to. Whatever happened to him?
Well, he retired from "the scene" a couple of months ago. His everyday life (job, wife, children..) didn't leave him enough spare time to spend on music making, or that's at least what he told me.

Bubblenugget

I've gotta say after looking at the page, there seems to be no evidence of ripping.  All of the music downloads on the page appear to have original artist credits to them.  Most are remixes and then there are 3 songs that have Dj Enis as the writer.

This is pretty typical of Dj marketing.  Keoki, Adam Freeland, Afrika Bambataa all had albums sold only as an hour length mix of other artists music.  Of course, there always needs to be consent from the original writer or producer before something can be sold commercially.  In such case, we'll just hope Madonna doesn't catch him.

I'm gonna say that this guy is safe.  Dj's are Dj's.  I myself play a lot of music at the club without permission from the artist.  I burn mix CDs of artists I want to promote and use them as give-a-ways.  I'm positive that only those stingy record companies could give a hoot.

Now, if he put together an album and claimed to be the sole author of the music.  That's deep poo-poo.

LPChip

Quote from: "Bubblenugget"I've gotta say after looking at the page, there seems to be no evidence of ripping.  All of the music downloads on the page appear to have original artist credits to them.  Most are remixes and then there are 3 songs that have Dj Enis as the writer.

This is pretty typical of Dj marketing.  Keoki, Adam Freeland, Afrika Bambataa all had albums sold only as an hour length mix of other artists music.  Of course, there always needs to be consent from the original writer or producer before something can be sold commercially.  In such case, we'll just hope Madonna doesn't catch him.

I'm gonna say that this guy is safe.  Dj's are Dj's.  I myself play a lot of music at the club without permission from the artist.  I burn mix CDs of artists I want to promote and use them as give-a-ways.  I'm positive that only those stingy record companies could give a hoot.

Now, if he put together an album and claimed to be the sole author of the music.  That's deep poo-poo.

Yes, They initially show his ID3 tags. But as soon as you request all ID3 tags, the original becomes visible.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

fisk0

Quote from: "LPChip"Yes, They initially show his ID3 tags. But as soon as you request all ID3 tags, the original becomes visible.

The original composer was clearly shown on the Mp3 download page too.
So there I don't think he is any different from any other of those DJ's. Or was the remixes also done by somebody else and that guy claims he remixed them or something?

Now, I'm not very fond of DJ's at all, but I don't see what makes this one worse than any other of them. Sure, he probably hasn't asked the original artists for permission to mix their songs, but I don't think many of the less-known DJ's do.

Squirrel Havoc

Are you guys sure he didnt modify the page and files after he was discovered? Has anyone been to the site right when he was detected? Maybe he changed them
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

reno373

So, if this  guy ripped someones music and made money from it, why doesn't someone notify the owners of the ripped music? Also, are the musicians actually aware of the big RIP? :?:
I read about Jay Newingham and his big RIP that took place in 2000. He ripped PM's music, Unreal's, and others. He of course was promptly run off the internet through guest book and email badgerings by various mod musicians and the like. The thing that bothered me about J.N's deal is what was said about Americans having a low scene and that basically they are losers in a different context. Jay is an American. I am not predjudice and I think that there are people from all countries that indulge in bad actions. We are all people with RED blood which makes us all one race, and that is the human race, no matter what nationality we are. If someone rips a song and they are from a particular country, that doesn't mean all people in that country are bad.
As for this new ripper you speak of in this forum, he will in good turn come to a bad end, all on his own. His own karma will either make him or break him. :wink:
reno