Questions about random variation and more...

Started by Nahkranoth, June 10, 2009, 11:42:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahkranoth

I want to ask whether random volume variation applies to VSTi. And if not, would it be a problem to implement?
And about panning, cutoff and resonance:
do these things apply to VSTi too (MIDI CC)? It would be awesome to control these general parameters (if the synth supports it of course) using fixed macros and by random variation.
The problem is I'm too lazy to check it myself and I'm almost sure that it's not possible atm.
So I will wait for someone who knows more than me on the subject and prepare to make a request :D

psishock

These don't applies to VSTi Nahkranoth and it's impossible to implement, because of one simple reason, every VSTi handles their settings, controls differently, and on different MidiCC.

I'm using a trick for this, as always ;).
Load up an LFO and use the noise waveform (purest random output, yay), and route it to any of your loved VSTi controls, enjoy the effect ^^.
- You can BPM sync the LFO frequency to have fixed and synced randomizing
- and you can set the frequency to the slowest possible and use LFO's "envelope reset" on every note. This way, the control will only change (to a random value) when it detects a new note.

Sounds a bit complicated at first, but it's totally simple, yet very effective and common way, for any other repetitive automation too.

(imho channel volume, channel panning, OMPT filter cutoff, OMPT filter resonance, these four could be worked somehow out within tracker automation, because they have nothing to do with VSTi, it's just that OMPT handles plugin playback so differently..., but an LFO will give you a lot wider power and features to work with, in the first place.)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Nahkranoth

By volume I meant (volume command)->(velocity), whatever behavior is set in the Instrument tab.
Quote from: "psishock"These don't applies to VSTi Nahkranoth and it's impossible to implement, because of one simple reason, every VSTi handles their settings, controls differently, and on different MidiCC.
Like I don't know it already :D I should've made myself clear by adding the list here. These are general CC, which many -/serious/- synths adhere to:
(CCs are numbered from 001)
CC 065 - hold/sustain pedal (kick me in the teeth if it's not useful!)
CC 072 - resonance (aka timbre, not all but many support it)
CC 075 - brightness (aka cutoff, see ^)
CC 012 - expression (some are responding, some aren't)
CC 011 - panning (a couple I've tried, supported it)

These are just examples of "general" CCs.
QuoteI'm using a trick for this, as always.
Load up an LFO and use the noise waveform (purest random output, yay), and route it to any of your loved VSTi controls, enjoy the effect .
That's if you're using some other host, which support passing MIDI to other plugins. But yeah, it is really useful, there are some, like NicFit's plugs for that.
But what am I talking here is to just pass these CCs to plugins using their respective commands, let the VST developers bother about their plugins process them in the right way.