Google Wave - Developer Preview Video

Started by psishock, May 30, 2009, 13:55:46

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ

Gentlemen, this product is simply pure awesomeness. It's open source, going to merge instant messaging, email, blogs, forums, wiki, etc, can be embed anywhere, has programmable extensions and "robots" that can be really powerful tools, finally it can break effectively the language barriers. Every linked parts are synchronized and can be monitored by users in real time as we type, everyone can edit what he/she wishes, the whole process history tree can be followed or accessed any time.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rakib

Google sure knows how to make a hype.
This type of simultanious typing was in BBS for amiga in the old days.

But I see a lots of security issues and the overall goal for Google for taking over the world.
^^

LPChip

Yeah, I see some flaws too.

Like you invite someone to a conversation, that person invites a few friends to that conversation, and those friends start to rage havoc by deleting/changing the conversation drasticly.

Ofcource, it probably can be reverted, but especially if you consider using it as a replacement for discussions, it should have a protection to set certain text so it cannot be altered, or even better, assign a user as visitor instead of participient, so that user can view, but not edit. Ofcource, once a user has been added as a visitor, that user cannot add another user or if he adds another user, that user automatically becomes a visitor too.

I also would like to see the ability to have a function to add a person to a conversation and let it interact using email.

So I edit the conversation, and the system sends the entire conversation to a user by email. The user then replies to that email, and the system detects it and adds the notes on the right place in the conversation.

This would bridge the gap of switching to a completelly new system without fearing that others aren't using it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Nahkranoth

In Soviet Russia Google use you!
Honestly, it will spy on you and and inform Pentagon how much you eat/sleep/shit/etc

Louigi Verona

As long as software is released as free software, Google will not take over the world.

I am watching the presentation right now and to be honest I am loving this. It really looks great. I think that the concept is very nice. And it is to some extent - logical. This is how it should be - the next step )

Rakib

Yes it's free, but the information has to go trough a server(google's)
^^

Louigi Verona

If you create your custom wave thing, you can direct it through your server - although it may be possible that by API they mean you should build it on top of their servers.

What's important here is the concept. Any corporation is temporary - the ideas are not temporary. They may be lost if the civilization ceases to exist, but until it does exist, the ideas will stay. A more freedom oriented group of individuals may choose to create a system with the same functionality, with the same basic ideas, but totally free.

So my point is that it is a logical step as to what communication and Internet are about and should be.

Rakib

I was sceptical to this, mainly because to the fact that google is taking over the world, and I still am. But wouldn't it be cool if two people could collaborate on making music together on the same host, sitting on each place on the world.
^^

Rakib

^^

LPChip

I've got a beta invitation to wave. Although I dunno how I can send out invites, I can use wave.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Rakib

with:public modplug

Started one wave now
^^

Sam_Zen

I don't like robots checking what I'm typing.
And I don't like my stuff on another server instead of my own HD.
And Google is getting as megalomaniac as M$.

Rakib

1. True, but you can read what other have written.
2. It will be possible to host it your own server, when the beta is finished.
3. True, but I don't mind innovation.
^^

Saga Musix

QuoteAnd Google is getting as megalomaniac as M$.
Wrong, they're already much more megalomaniac.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

any use of the internet has to be with some degree of caution.

obviously you don't want to put sensitive information out there - no matter what the platform is.

At least in America it is now routine to look for information on job candidates on the internet. I myself am circumspect in what I say and do as a result. And I do see searches on my name in my web statistics - being unemployed right now and having a gazillion resumes out there I assume these searches are not for music.

So in that context - google wave sounds interesting. But then again I tried Twitter and found it to be a total waste of effort and time. Why not just use email and instant messaging? was my final thought on twitter.