.53 'Global volume' not sent as VSTi MIDI volume

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, May 23, 2009, 09:31:24

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.53

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s):
No, it's been newly introduced in this build.

Description of the bug:
When you are playing notes in the Instrument tab (and also from the Pattern window), the 'Global volume' isn't being sent as the MIDI volume to plugins. This can be very annoying, given that v64 is often a *lot* louder than you the volume you're working at.

How often does it happen?:
Always.

How to reproduce (step by step description):
Create or load a song using VST instruments. Go to the instrument tab, and set the 'Global volume' of a VSTi to something other than 64. Play a note -- the plugin will receive the note at maximum velocity, rather than the specified volume.

(MidiMonitor [www.rs-met.com] confirmed that the notes are being sent through with a velocity of 127.)

Relabsoluness

Can confirm this. It seems that in earlier version, while the global volume was used when playing notes in pattern with keyboard, it was not used as the default volume when the tune was played. I think this was a bit misleading, because one could input notes hearing them with chosen global volume, but unless note volume was specified, they played with full volume when the tune was played.

Possible workarounds

-Set the Global Volume and remove sample mapping from the instrument(i.e. map all notes to sample 0).
-Set the value that would be used as the instruments "Global Volume" to "Default Volume" of the sample that is mapped to the instrument.

Given these notes, I wouldn't classify this as a bug, but I think it's worth evaluating more closely after your response to this.

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"-Set the value that would be used as the instruments "Global Volume" to "Default Volume" of the sample that is mapped to the instrument.

Like in this post? :D

This is what I'd prefer, personally. When I'm working with instruments that can often sound very different at different velocities, it's extremely frustrating not to be able to hear these velocities until I've put a note in the pattern with a vxx command. :/

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Like in this post? :D
Well not exactly like in the request, but I guess this is a crude version of it :). Closing the bug report.

bvanoudtshoorn

Out of curiosity, what sort of action is this going to get? :) I'm probably gonna have to go back to using .52 until something happens, because I often work at quite low volume levels, so having something fly out at full volume every time I touch a key is a bit... offputting. :/

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Out of curiosity, what sort of action is this going to get?
Well I already marked this closed, because I don't see what there is to fix. Did you try either of the 'workarounds'?

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, I'm not using samples at all, so neither of the workarounds actually works around... :P

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Well, I'm not using samples at all, so neither of the workarounds actually works around... :P
I bet you didn't test them ;) Yes I'm aware that this has been about VST-instruments, and even though the speak about sample mapping may suggest otherwise, both workarounds are for VST-instruments.

bvanoudtshoorn

:oops: Caught out. :) I'll have a go tonight when I get home.

bvanoudtshoorn

OK, those workarounds do work. It just feels a little bit weird to do it that way. :)