[EP][Toy-Folk] Julian Winter - L'art pour l'art

Started by Winter, May 13, 2009, 07:34:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Winter

Finally, my EP is out!
Toy-Folk.

It's a mixture of real instruments, multi-lingual spoken words, ambient and rhythms.
But ALL is still made with the good old Modplug Tracker.
I spend an entire year, making this. I recorded noises, instruments, ambient, and vocals!

Now I want to present the entire world wide web with it!
My compensation will be the feedback from the audience. Hopefully.

Download everything here: http://www.petitejolie.com/releases/006/

Most important: Tell me what you think!
And if you like it: Show it to all your friends!

LPChip

Hey Winter. :)

Good to see that you've posted this here too.

I already saw it on The Nifflas Support Forum, and downloaded this last night. I've also listened to it last night, so I'll give my feedback from what I remember of it. :) (I was already thinking of giving feedback while listening.)

I've downloaded the entire package.

The intro didn't appeal that much to me, but that could be because I'm not really sure what to think of it. Its more of a recording than a song to me.

The first real song on the album, I liked it. Very nice vibes. You mention ambient, but I don't consider any of the tracks to be ambient. They're too great for that X) I'd say: soundtrack instead. I didn't really understood any of the voices. The only bad thing I could think about the song, is that the voices are spoken instead of sung. It isn't really inline with the song.

The second song on the album is very nice too. Almost got a Jungle feeling to it. Nice! The thing that really disturbed me in this song was the fact that the voices are so rapidly spoken that it actually becomes a burdon that you can't even figure out what is being said. At a certain moment, I actually wanted them to go away. When they actually did, a new part came. I so loved that part. Great job on that! I even consider that the best part of the album.

The other songs basically have the same impact on me. They're all very good. I can't really think of bad things on each song individually.

One small thing I found that could be improved is the overall quality of the songs. I notice they all have a more dark sound. You could increase the quality by applying an EQ to each song and boost the frequencies of 1khz and higher. Not too much ofcource, but those frequencies are not really present.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

QuoteYou mention ambient, but I don't consider any of the tracks to be ambient. They're too great for that X)

:D  :D  :D

uncloned

just Dl'd it - I'll be back with comments - thanks for sharing!

Winter

Thank you very very much for your constructive replies!

LPChip, I don't wanted to play around with the EQ too much.
First I am not that experienced with that.
And most important, I only have this little classic EQ vst.
Somebody told me that a software eq will never bring the quality that a real hardware EQ can bring.
I am afraid he maybe right. It sounds all a bit unnatural. :(

I've already thought about this problem several times. Maybe you've got some hints for me?

LPChip

Quote from: "Winter"
LPChip, I don't wanted to play around with the EQ too much.
First I am not that experienced with that.
And most important, I only have this little classic EQ vst.
Somebody told me that a software eq will never bring the quality that a real hardware EQ can bring.
I am afraid he maybe right. It sounds all a bit unnatural. :(

I've already thought about this problem several times. Maybe you've got some hints for me?

Get Electri-Q! It has a posifopit version which is free, and the quality is stunning. I use it in all my music that I master and it really enhances my audio quality. I even dare to compare it with Waves' EQ plugin.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Winter

Got it.
Thanks for the hint. I'll try it later.   :)

Saga Musix

QuoteI am afraid he maybe right.
How can you be so sure without any facts?

QuoteIt sounds all a bit unnatural.
It's a matter of practice. Turning on the ultra-fixer-sidechain-compression-EQ-wondermagic-9000 VST won't fix your tunes automatically, even if you believe it does.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Is there a new meaning of the concept EP in the meantime of which I haven't heard of ?

Anyway, only heard a few tracks now, but it's very good so far.
Not much production on this, sounds are staying quite close to the listener. I like that.

Winter

Yes maybe. For me an EP is just a mini album. (4-9 tracks)

cubaxd

I've listened 4 times to the album this morning. This is just great music!
When track 3 was playing for the first time, I couldn't help laughing :D
Keep it up!

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Winter"For me an EP is just a mini album. (4-9 tracks)
Yep, that's why I was curious.

I'm coming from the stone age of vinyl, so a single had side A and B, each at a max of 4 mins.
And an E(xtended) P(lay) had the same size but contained three or four tracks.
But a mini album is a nice concept.