[EDM] Twelve Nineteen (MP3)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, May 02, 2009, 10:21:35

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

This one's actually been sitting on my computer for a month or so now -- I just haven't been able to render it to wave, because my system just wasn't fast enough. Today, though, I got a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM, and everything just purrs along, barely touching the processor. :D

Anyway, about the music itself. This piece is basically me having fun with Kontakt -- each of the eight instruments has fairly complex insert effect chains, a couple of send effects, and a couple of modulated group inserts, too. :) Basically, lots of effects, for some nice sound degradation.

Because I'm still not a fan of OpenMPT's automation handling, I managed to find a nice little workaround, that I used on a couple of instruments: I modulate various effects using the MIDI volume. This means that working with the modulation is much more immediate, and it also means that I can modulate a couple of different effects simultaneously completely independently.

The piece is, hopefully, quite fun to listen to -- it was definitely fun to write. Let me know what you think!

Download

Nahkranoth

Oh my gawd! Cheese pours from everywhere :D Sounds like some classic tracker tune remade in a modern way, I like it! ...ahh, the fun ends too quickly, it only 2 mins long :(
Seems that you've got your favourite chords, or chord progressions, or whatever, because I've got this thought in the middle of your track:
"Jeez, even without knowing the author you can guess it's Barry" LOL
Well, not absolutely sure, but you know what I mean :D
QuoteI just haven't been able to render it to wave, because my system just wasn't fast enough.
You mean "in realtime"? I thought you can render to wave on nearly every average machine, no matter how complex your project is :shock:

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks for the feedback, Nahkranoth! :D I guess I have got a bit of a 'signature' EDM style. :P

Yeah, I have to render all of my stuff in realtime, because of a bug which occurs with OpenMPT + Kontakt. :/ Although to be honest, I think that it might be mostly solved now that I've upgraded -- I'll have to test, though.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Noticeably chiptuney, but still ornate enough for consideration as EDM. Way too short. Just like my review...:wink:

uncloned

certainly very aggressive for you.

The tuned buried in the distortion and minor mode is still bouncy and happy somehow. That is an accomplishment! It sounds like a tune from a Disney animation movie with ghosts jamming.

(unless my ears are not working right tonight  ::) )

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Harbinger"Way too short.

Yeah, I know. :) It's this short because of my earlier hardware limitations: at around this length, the entire computer would grind to a halt, with nasty ear-hurting artifacts. :/ Maybe I'll do an 'extended mix' one of these days.

Quote from: "uncloned"certainly very aggressive for you.

The tuned buried in the distortion and minor mode is still bouncy and happy somehow. That is an accomplishment! It sounds like a tune from a Disney animation movie with ghosts jamming.

Thanks! I assume that that's a positive thing... :D Maybe the bouncy happiness is helped by the fact that I swung the semiquavers -- when I first started, it was all straight, and, to be honest, a bit bland. I think the swing lifts it a bit. :)

Thanks for your feedback, Harbinger and Clones! :)

Sam_Zen

Yeah, Barry, this is very nice ! As usual a very good arrangement and production.
And one can indeed hear that you had your fun making it.

uncloned

yes positive Barry. After reflection I found that I was thinking of Fantasia.