[lofi] side a ambient (mp3)

Started by uncloned, April 04, 2009, 05:12:01

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

This is a ~19 min crude ambient piece from about 1981

It is very low fi and comes from the original distribution tape. Most of the tape is binaural (two mono tracks) - some portions are in stereo.

The somewhat lengthy portions of Shostakovitch and Genesis was meant as a tribute. Today they are copyright violations. The world is sad. There is also 10 secs of a tune I play with some guys while I was a music major - I played lead.

And of course I can be hanged for the included snippets of Chicago TV broadcast as well.(Which includes a brief horn snippet from Aaron Copeland's fanfare for the common man.)

Also Eternal Return performed by Harlequin and other pieces I wrote.

I used

reel to reel
cassette deck
cheap radio shack 4 mono to one stereo mixer (no panning) L+L and R+R = stereo
Mike Barry voice and guitar
Tom Martins voice and guitar
My father's voice (ok - knock it off!)
A hypnosis tape from a shrink
Evan Harrington cameo
Two LPs - Shostakovitch's 14th symphony conducted by his son. Genesis Supper's Ready excerpt, modified.
Me - upright piano, Fender Stratocastor, classical guitar, Atari game console, Electric Mistress flanger, echoplex, distortion, voice, microphone feedback, Sears TV, in various combinations.

I listened - and you know it didn't sound like it had better fidelity when I made it. The equipment was cheap crap. It sounded like cheap crap then... and still does now. Thus it IS low fi.

Perhaps better said to be music concrete distortion into ambient?

I dunno....

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/side-a-ambient.mp3

residentgrey

Look up A.W.A.R.E. or H.A.R.M. on wruw.org. The DJ that does that show is insane, and the mixes he does are outstanding.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Sam_Zen

Indeed an element of music concrete here.

Don't worry about being hanged for using 'external' things. You mention the sources and that's enough.
K.H. Stuckhausen made a composition with pieces of Japanese radio broadcasts. No complaints then.

And it shouldn't. Things like this are part of the electronic practice, using things from radio, tv, or outside, etc.,
not to copy it, but considering it again as raw sound material, and use it.

Did I hear the cat again ?

uncloned

Yes it sounds like Pyewacket - but my parents had 6 to 9 cats when I was in my late teens to early 20's (the period over which all of the samples and the entire composition comes from) and 4 were Siamese.

uncloned

And thanks for the listen Sam and Resident!