[Easy Listening/New Age]Why is it so hard(.mp3)

Started by LPChip, March 29, 2009, 20:08:28

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I've played alot more with my Continuum Fingerboard, and am getting the hang more and more.

I started to play using only the internal sound, routed to VST effects, using another VSTi to have some rythm to play along. This is nice, but I wanted to take things a step further.

I now used the CF to control a VSTi -> VST effects, and played along me playing the piano! :)

A quite challenging task for me, considered that the piano meganism is different from the CF. You can hear that while I play the CF, my piano playing is somewhat basic. I just still have to focus alot on playing the CF so I can't put the left hand on automatic or the right one on automatic etc...

I really like the result.

You can download the song here: http://files.lpchip.com/Album/Fingerboarded/2.%20LPChip%20-%20Why%20is%20it%20so%20hard.mp3

Or if you want to stream the song, head here: http://files.lpchip.com/Album/Fingerboarded

Length: 4:43 (crap, if I just could add another second... XD)
Filesize, somewhat around 4,5 mb.

Enjoy, and feedback is welcome. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

You're getting somewhere, but there are still a few off-key notes here and there ;P Way to go!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"You're getting somewhere, but there are still a few off-key notes here and there ;P Way to go!

Yeah I know, but alot less than my first song. :D

It now actually starts to get where I wanna go. Now I also need to get used to this, so I can put expression in it during the song itself. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

I get quite excited about the sound of this instrument!

The combination of playing on the piano too, is not a very convenient choice.
As you said, you have to 'polder' with a basic piano play, to keep the attention to the CF too.

I would be surprised what you could as a solo sound, if something cq somebody else would provide the background

LPChip

Indeed. My next goal will be that I compose a song in modplug, and play along with that using my CF. :)

The sound of the CF is actually VSTi sound. I made the sound myself using FMBox2 (vsti I once made) routed to G-Amp classic, MDA delay, Ambience (reverb).

My next goal for a sound, is to model a panflute. :) With control over the Y axis and Z axis, this opens up endless possibilities. :D

uncloned

LP

I need to listen to your work presented here - I'm taking a copy to work today.

Based on the last piece with this fingerboard that you posted I wonder if I can request a collaboration.

Here is a piece I am working on - it needs to be played tighter - it may be suitable for your fingerboard lead. I'd appreciate if you'd give a listen and tell me what you think. When I play this I "feel" a vocal or lead part.

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily20090324-e-major.mp3

As it says it is in e major using major 7th's and 6th's and some poly chordal harmony. I think it sounds "airy".

Personal taste is totally subjective so if you don't like it that is not a problem.

LPChip

Although I'm still curious about what you think of this song, I do happen to get that same feeling. :)

I'll see if I can play something along with this song you posted and perhaps we can do a collaboration. :)

Can't guarantee ofcource, but I can try it. :)

uncloned

I like your piece quite a bit - nicely introspective. I'm a fan of your piano pieces.

Your new keyboard is just fantastic! Though it must be as difficult as a violin (at least) to play.

If you want I can re-record my piece - or you can deal with the hesitation - that's your choice.

LPChip

I've tried a few times to play along with your melody, but I can't.

I tend to get too enthusiastic with a melody and then start playing in another chord than you're doing. I just can't get it to sound right. Sorry.

uncloned

No problem. Thanks for trying. Perhaps on another piece we can collaborate.

LPChip

Quote from: "uncloned"No problem. Thanks for trying. Perhaps on another piece we can collaborate.

I'm not sure, unless we change the rules. XD

I usually play the melody and have the background play along that, not the other way around.

uncloned

I'm game

that sounds like I write the arrangement around your melody and to be honest I like harmony much more than melody. I feel I can experiment with harmony but.. what can you do with melody?

LPChip

Quote from: "uncloned"I'm game

that sounds like I write the arrangement around your melody and to be honest I like harmony much more than melody. I feel I can experiment with harmony but.. what can you do with melody?

I'm not sure if I can play a melody like that without hearing/playing the arrangement, because if I would, I would also have the arrangement in my head even while not playing it, kinda forcing you to write the arrangement I have in my head.

I'm not that good with this I guess.

uncloned

Quote from: "LPChip"I've tried a few times to play along with your melody, but I can't.

I tend to get too enthusiastic with a melody and then start playing in another chord than you're doing. I just can't get it to sound right. Sorry.

I don't know what software you are using -

If I were to do this in Sonar I'd improvise while recording the performance as a midi recording - and then edit the "wrong" notes when done.

Though - there are no "wrong" notes - it depends on how you resolve the dissonance that is created - and sometimes those "wrong" notes can lead to very creative paths that one would not have normally thought of when you try to resolve the resulting dissonance.

I could take a shot at doing something simpler - or we can just give up.

LPChip

Quote from: "uncloned"
Quote from: "LPChip"I've tried a few times to play along with your melody, but I can't.

I don't know what software you are using -

If I were to do this in Sonar I'd improvise while recording the performance as a midi recording - and then edit the "wrong" notes when done.

Though - there are no "wrong" notes - it depends on how you resolve the dissonance that is created - and sometimes those "wrong" notes can lead to very creative paths that one would not have normally thought of when you try to resolve the resulting dissonance.

I could take a shot at doing something simpler - or we can just give up.

I'm doing a direct 2 wave record using chainer, so I can have both the audio of whatever I'm plainy along with, together with the sounds of my VSTi's, that I play using my CF. I also don't really have any midi software installed.