Trying to convert MIDI to MP3

Started by xanthom, March 23, 2009, 08:41:32

Previous topic - Next topic

xanthom

I have tried searching the entire forum but could not find any answers.

I want to convert the MIDI files to MP3 files.

I'm following instructions (listed on another website), which recommend that the MIDI file first be saved as a WAV, and then the WAV can be converted to an MP3 (for better sound quality than just MIDI-to-MP3):

Quote from: "from http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=38360"Alternatively, download Modplug (it's free). While a MOD generating program, it can also import and export to and from MIDI/WAV/MP3, thus, you can load your midi and export it as a WAV or MP3. (exporting WAV first, then loading the wav and exporting the MP3 is best otherwise it will be too quiet sometimes.)

However, "Save as MP3 ..." in the File menu is always grayed out (unclickable), regardless of whether the file I am attempting with is a MIDI or WAV.  The MIDI/WAV files sound fine when I play them in the program.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong ....

Any help would be great.  Thanks.

Rakib

You need to install a mp3 codec first. I recommend this:
Fhg Radium MP3 codec
^^

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Rakib"You need to install a mp3 codec first. I recommend this:
Fhg Radium MP3 codec
I've tried installing different mp3 acm (lame, fraunhofer) codecs, on some systems it helps, but if "save as mp3" option is still greyed out try putting lame_enc.dll into the modplug main folder. It definitely should help.

Saga Musix

Simply download LAME and put in modplug's folder.

However, a more precise and better sounding method is to use XMPlay's MIDI plugin together with a nice soundfont (for example SGM-180), which sounds a lot better.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I agree with Jojo here.  Using XMPlay is probably the best way to go here. Also because the import job from MODPlug tracker isn't the best.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Yoyogames isn't correct. ModPlug doesn't import MP3.

Saga Musix

By the way, if you just export the MIDI to WAV and then directly render the MP3 file, there is no advantage over directly encoding the MP3 from MIDI. Sorry, but that article is pretty much fucked up :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.