Started by AmericanDiamond, March 04, 2009, 08:21:29

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanDiamond

I just did an MD5 hash check on the SaxophoneZ zip file, and it's:

a549390cd184cd7b467bf2ec0b774e04

EDIT: I also did one on the Synthopia plugin; Here it is:

154b38c56e7cbaaf5cda982fcb9f761e

Relabsoluness

Matches with the hash of the zip-file which worked for me.

psishock

Just an idea, check OMPT settings AnthonyGSSM. Sampling rate, bits, also try ASIO/direct sound, etc.... you know, the problem could hide somewhere there.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

AmericanDiamond

I have tried every possible setting I have for sampling and bits and everything in the sound card tab.  I do have ASIO and have even used that, but the problem is persistent.

Each time I try to add both of them as new plugins, after the Exception message and then the following "not a valid VST plugin" message, I cancel the plugin popup box.  When I go back, each of the plugins is listed in the "VST Audio Effects" folder and NOT in the "VST Instruments" folder.  I've tried to add the listing anyway to get the message that MPT has an issue with it and that it's "(null)".  When I add it to my plugin list, only the name appears and all parameters, including the Edit, are grayed out.

Maybe it's a sound card issue, because these are the only ones I've tried that include multilayering.  I really hope it's not my sound card.

psishock

ahhhh

ok, moving along, i doubt it is any hardware issue (like soundcard example). You should try a fresh windows install (dont have to mess up your old one if you don't want to, just open a virtual pc, and try it there), maybe some runtimes, user programs, services or registry settings are interfering with each other. Drivers could be rechecked also. Also, you could try to install a fresh OMPT in a different folder, it could be some pre-plugin/program setting garbage data that is messing with the new ones.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

I've had something similar with Xlutop Chainer. I removed the plugins, closed openmpt, reinstalled Xlutop, readded the plugins and it worked. Have you tried that?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

AmericanDiamond

psishock: I felt like that several times with this PC; that particular method would save on window replacement costs.

A virtual PC might help, because this HP Pavilion is so old that it could be anything that's causing the problem.  Actually I checked my drivers before you posted, and although all of the drivers are dated either 2001 or 2004, they work properly, including DirectX 9.0c.  I don't know how I would ever update at least some of them, if any, because they stopped making updates for some of them, and I'm using Windows XP SP2 on a Win98 system, but that shouldn't affect anything (then again, like I said, anything is possible).

I have four versions of OMPT, so I guess I could reinstall the latest one (1.17.02.52) in a desktop folder and see.

LPChip: Yes, I have tried that somewhat.  Are you talking about removing all of the other already working plugins?  I upgraded from 1.17.02.48 to 52, reloaded the plugins and reinstalled both plugins at least twice, but I did reinstall them after I added the others, so I will try to add the DSK plugins to the list first after using a fresh OMPT.

LPChip

No need to remove all the plugins. I only reinstalled Xlutop while keeping my others in the list. Though, you can still try that...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

AmericanDiamond

Yep, I just tried to empty my plugin list to add the DSK plugins.  No dice.

Back to missing libraries: I have the msvc2008 library, but what other libraries (besides the DirectX 9.0c package) would I need to run certain VSTi plugins?  Because these are multilayered and that might be causing the problem.

Nahkranoth

My advice is to ditch that goddamn SaxophoneZ (because it's basically a soundfont+player) and try to find good soundfont+SFZ.
Or maybe try this:
http://www.dreamvortex.co.uk/dvs_saxophone.zip
Use velocity and pitchbend to achieve more or less realistic sound.
[EDIT]Have you tried any other hosts?
VSTHost for example?

AmericanDiamond

Yes, I have tried VSTHost and even SAVIHost.  There, when I try to add both plugins, the CPU will labor for a minute and then produce absolutely nothing.

My computer has no support for Soundfonts; I think that's the problem.

Nahkranoth: Thanks for the links and the very tempting advice.  I just still don't understand how everyone else can seem to use DSK layered plugins except myself.

Is there a VST plugin or other program that will either make my soundcard Soundfont-compatible or that will allow me to use Soundfont-based VSTi's?

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "AnthonyGSSM"My computer has no support for Soundfonts; I think that's the problem.
No, it's not the problem. You don't need SF-compatible soundcard to use soundfonts. Actually, OMPT can use instruments, saved in soundfonts (and DLS too). It will work correctly (kinda questionable tho) with some early SF-specs, like 1 velocity layer only. It can open more complex soundfonts too, but only one layer will be accessible and it may have some glitches.
To see that it really works:
Right-click in the instrument tree (to the left of pattern view), select "add sound bank", and point to the c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\gm.dls it's a collection of those ugly sounds that are used when you play midi files. Now, as the bank appeared in the MPT's tree, you can use the instruments contained there.
Quote from: "AnthonyGSSM"Is there a VST plugin or other program that will either make my soundcard Soundfont-compatible or that will allow me to use Soundfont-based VSTi's?
The following links will lead thee to the VSTi which can use soundfonts correctly:
http://www.project5.com/products/instruments/sfz_player/sfz197.exe
and if you hear that something is still wrong with some sounds:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/kru99/VSTSynthFont.dll-very cool plugin, but crashes on me every 5 minutes, maybe you'll be more lucky.

AmericanDiamond

Nahkranoth: My thanks goes to you once again.  I knew about being able to use Soundfonts without a Soundfont-compatible card.  But what about plugins and VSTi's that are SF-based?

I hate to keep going on and on about it, but it must be something that can be done to use these.

By the way, the DVS Saxophone plugin is pretty good.  lol I just checked out those same two SF programs yesterday.

Nahkranoth

You can use literally every sf-based vsti, except one that you will hardly ever find, which is made specifically to use with sf-enabled soundcards. So relax and bring us some music already :-D

AmericanDiamond

I'm back.  The music is coming along.

As I have downloaded and tried to load other various VSTs and VSTi's, I get the same messages (the Exception, "not a valid VST").  The puzzing (and frustrating) part is that others with Modplug Tracker and VSTHost can use the same plugins with no problem.

It has to be a PC issue, but I don't know how to search for any help on Google or who to ask, so I'm posting it here in case anyone else had the same issue.  Maybe this topic could be escalated/moved (?).

In the meantime, I'm trying to find alternative VST/VSTi's and it's going well, but I would still like to make use of the ones that every one else seems to be using.