[Metal] Seven Circles (mp3)

Started by nads20489, March 02, 2009, 22:53:37

Previous topic - Next topic

nads20489

Hello Modplug users!
I'm making a short return to the scene. School has been keeping me really busy, but today on the way back from class, I had an idea for a metal song, so I made it this afternoon and here is what I have. It is one of my most energetic pieces to date.

Please give me your comments and suggestions.

http://download.modplug.com/index.php?action=downloads&id=2110

Sam_Zen

Hi again, nads..
Crispy piece.. ! Should have been quite longer in my opinion.

uncloned

Nice!

I like your lead sound especially.

nads20489

Sam_Zen: I know, I always have a problem with the length :-/  I'm trying to improve though. I'm also trying to make my music more dynamic, which makes it harder for me to extend the length, because it takes more effort.

uncloned: Thanks, I like how the lead turned out too. The only problem is that it made it somewhat difficult to have the notes sound like they were dropping exactly on the spots I wanted them to.

Sam_Zen

Exactly on the spots, I suppose you don't mean exactly on the beat then, but probably just a bit after it. There are codes for that.

Extending the length doesn't have to imply always much more effort.
You can use the material you already made, like duplicating some phrase of a few bars, with some small changes or additions here and there.

Metal has its roots in the blues-rock, so a format like : theme by lead - room for solo (by other lead possibly) - theme by lead could be done here.

Nahkranoth

As always: when it's getting interesting and the crowd is waiting for more, you cut it. Have some mercy, nads! :cry:
I suppose you're playing with harmonics? Nice, I should try it too someday :)
P.S. Let's make a collab, mate! You've got interesting melodies, and I can copy+paste to make it longer *read: boring*  :evil:

nads20489

Sam_Zen: I did sort of mean "on the beat". I am familiar with all of the effect codes, but this problem has to do with the VSTi i was using. At times which I haven't been able to predict, the VSTi becomes slightly sloppy in its timing. So, I just decided to go with it here for a more unique sound.

Nahkranoth: Thanks for the positive comments. I wasn't using harmonics any more than Slayer2 automatically does at higher notes; it was more a combination of feedback and filters. As for the collab, I don't know how we would go about doing that - mostly in terms of splitting up the work. I do have several projects floating around in an unfinished state, and most of them aren't very long. If you wanted, you could try chopping them up and lengthening/varying them. A lot of my unreleased stuff has riffs or rhythms I consider pretty good, but I just wasn't able to take them anywhere in the time I spent on them, so maybe a fresh ear could do something with them.

Sam_Zen

Nahkranoth

Hmm, nads, where to listen to those *could-be-done-as-collab* unfinished tunes then? Or maybe you can send me some :D

nads20489

Nahkranoth:  I will need to make them into mp3s. I could give you the .mptm or .it files but many of them use the proprietary Slayer2 plugin, so you wouldn't be able to make too much use out of those unless you have the plugin.  Also, what genres would you be most interested in? My unfinished stuff spans quite a few.

Nahkranoth

I have Slayer2 demo, so if you're not using some other payware plugs (drums, etc) everything will be fine. I can change it to some other plugin if you're not using automation, so feel free to send me some tunes, I hope I can find the time to finish them. You know, I always stop when 60% is finished :D
I still need to finish the one made for Barryvan compo, the problem is that I hear it everytime in the different way :D