[Chillout] Dreaming Of Tape (mp3)

Started by Screaming Egg Notion, February 26, 2009, 18:18:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Screaming Egg Notion

Sam_Zen

It starts with quite modest percussion. I like that. Can't understand the choice for the piano-like lead sound.
Don't get much excitement, but I suppose that's not the point with chillout.

uncloned

This one I like quite a bit. Just seems to work for me.

LPChip

The intro is kinda experimental. Thats not really my thing, but not a reason to hate the song. :P

Then you introduce a 4/4 beatpattern. I really don't like that so that doesn't make it easier on me. :P

I'm a chillout lover, but this is the kind of chillout I usually skip.

The sounds are nice, but its the composition that makes me stop the song before I reach the finish. Sorry, but not my cup of tea.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Okay...titles are allowed to be bizarre! :P The music though is indeed entrancing, perfect kick level, and i love the instrumentation all around. Again the lack of melody makes this music perfectly mindless! Then the ramblings a foolish young girl who likes to think she knows something but never really saying anything substantive, wow, you can't get more mindless than that! I love it! :D  I'll keep this in the rotation but i'll hafta find a way to ignore her!:P

Screaming Egg Notion

I like how you put it... mindless.... very accurate description to a certain point.... although I do agree with what the girl says..
just think about the abstract nature of words and expression in todays society and you will understand..
in my very honest opinion, anyone who disagrees with what this woman is saying is either extremely religious or lying to themselves...

uncloned

To be honest a hook for me is her words. A lot of what she says is true I think. Without out isolation art would have less, perhaps no, reason to exist since to me the object of art is communication. If you had another means of complete communication of thoughts and feelings why bother with the imperfection of art.  Excepting still life and landscapes of course. Perhaps all music would be ambient drone like aroma therapy.  Wall paper for the ears.

uncloned

Please excuse my blackberry spelling.

Screaming Egg Notion

well said... a very true, although less obvious explanation of what she is saying...

language defines our very culture... yet language is an abstract concept in itself if you really think about it... deep musings indeed...

uncloned

language is a series of symbols, so is most visual art and video

in that respect music might be considered a purer means of communication or at least has that potential - obviously one can create sound collages that represent objects and therefore becomes symbolic music - such as music concrete

on another note

Mr Egg, I highly recommend the work of the other composers here if you have not listened yet. I have learned much from them.

Especially Sam, Psishock, Harbinger, LP Chip, Barryvan (I know I'm missing people - my apologies)

Harbinger

Quote from: "Screaming Egg Notion"I like how you put it... mindless.... very accurate description to a certain point.... although I do agree with what the girl says..
just think about the abstract nature of words and expression in todays society and you will understand..
in my very honest opinion, anyone who disagrees with what this woman is saying is either extremely religious or lying to themselves...

Ahhh, youth..... (sigh :) )

It's not that she was wrong, it's that she was stating the obvious. There seems to be a pleasure in her voice that she has come up with something new or clever, as most young adults like to think. In fact, she has not. Poets and philosophers throughout the ages have pondered the essence as well as the limitations of language -- ANY language, verbal, visual, musical.
But if i had a daughter, i would be proud to know that at least she's THINKING and engaged! Most kids today don't want to look beyond what's in front of their eyes to try to understand the Big Picture, and where they fit in it.

Now i will take exception that the "extremely religious" somehow are the ones that question the obvious, akin to liars. I'm sure Buddha, Jesus Christ, Gandhi, and Martin Luther (and Martin Luther King, Jr for that matter) would disagree that the religious are idiots. The "extremely faithful" have fought to remind the masses that we have a higher purpose, and that controls by a heathen authority do nothing but keep us in caves. They have bucked conventional wisdom (the things that the masses think are obvious) to reform how we think about God's world, and our place in it.
I have learned that "those" that wish to demean the "extremely religious" (two straw-dog terms), and lump them with the psychologically impaired (like self-deceivers), either associate religion with the truly degenerate who use religion for their murderous or deviant purposes, or view religion as the vehicle that reminds them of the unnatural or at least ungodly behaviors they themselves engage in. And no one wants anyone around whose piety shines light on their perversions.

And anyone who disagrees with THAT is worse than Hitler! :P

uncloned

I do not lump belief in God with religion

to me those are two different things

belief in God for me is something I arrived at on a personal basis. I can't give it to anyone else, and no one can take it from me.

Religion, in my view, is dogma and ritual. These things have their place in society I suppose like English tea time, but do not indicate a belief in God. It indicates following practices that are very real and human and far too often destructive.

The isolation (its been a while since I listened) she talked about goes to my belief because I will never know if blue to me looks like blue to you. In my viewpoint the universe is set up to be such that everyone must decide for themselves what the meaning of life and their relationship to everything else.

Sam_Zen

Getting a bit OT here, I guess.
Religion as an item in a forum conversation never had any positive impact on the quality on the the discussion,
and often disturbs communication between members.
Harbingers statements are to me too much in one box, so quite difficult for a general impression.
So maybe in some ways I'm worse than Hitler, who knows. Sometimes I don't like dogs.

So listened again.
I like echoes synced with the beat. Can't understand all vocals, but I hear 'connection with each other', and 'that's what we live for'.
Seems quite positive to me.

Harbinger

I agree it's off-topic, Sam, but Egg DID interject the OT remark....I must defend the religious, because no one else will.... 8)

And you're right, forums are the WORST place to discuss religion, because it's hard to convey a sense of observation rather than condescension. But if no one means to demean an entire group of people based on limited experiences and, worse yet, mass media, then i love debating "matters of cosmological perspective". But we shall save that for another thread.... :wink:

To get back to the song, i do like the delay effect on the vocals; it makes it more "ethereal". Perhaps if the composer could make known the words she's speaking.... :)

uncloned

Harbinger - a politically incorrect topic in general then?

we talked about a similar subject some months ago I think.

I find the dialog here reminding me of Aeroplane Flies High my Smashing Pumpkins

it makes for a fascinating song actually because the dialog fades in and out and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zn5h_AT-NA