[primal tapes] Wonderfool landscape (ogg)

Started by Sam_Zen, February 21, 2009, 15:05:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Made with Elka string ensemble, partially through the Synthi A filter. The 'wind' instrument is improvised.
Something not that extravagant for a change. :)

Wonderfool landscape - 3:14

edit : see version 2 below

uncloned

very nice Sam, sounds almost oriental, but then also pagan European.

Is there an echo on the percussion or is that an envelope over a repeat?

Sam_Zen

You could say both. It's a repeating echo between L and R on the tape, with a quite rapid decay in feedback.
Oriental yes. This was part of a soundtrack for a movie. A very peaceful scene at a pond full with goldfishes in Marocco .
What do you mean with pagan European by the way ?

uncloned

Wiccan is the modern equivalent.

Pre-Christianized Europe - like the the Norse legends. that sort of thing.

This music could be used for a scene with sprites or faires or elves

Sam_Zen

I see. I suspected something like that. You're right about a kind of fairytale.
In those days European music was very alive, before the droning church-organs began.
Lots of percussion, flutes, etc.

uncloned

This may be of interest

for all my no repetition stance there is a strong current of hypnotic repetition in modern classical composition (Steve Reich and Phillip Glass for example)

in this video the piano is using "just intonation" - pure ratios between notes and requires 24 notes to the octave - but... this is NOT quarter tone music. It is very purely tuned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ieHZ5qmJZI&feature=related

Sam_Zen

Yep, I know. It's labeled as "minimal music"

uncloned

yes, I guess that is true

but all things being relative - this is far more complex to me than the minimal electronica genre

Saga Musix

a nice and peaceful sequence. short but sweet.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

I can see the "farytale" resemblance too. :D
From a technical point of view, i would put a less low pass filter to the percussion, they sound a bit dull imo. Aiming for a clearer sounds can be a good idea. Of course, that totally depends from the composer too.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

You're right, Psi, the piece was derived from an old reel tape, so some EQ to fresh up the sound could be useful.

Sam_Zen

psishock

Ah, the brighter sounds are much fresher, almost like you have swapped some samples to better ones, on the top of general EQ-ing.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

It is very pretty even

I didn't compare - but I really love it.

No doubt the forest gods are happy :-)