[Progressive House]Every1(mp3)

Started by Harbinger, February 28, 2009, 18:41:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Every1

I wanted to make this a Trance, and while it uses many Trance characteristics, the reduced BPM (plus the vocal sample work) actually makes this more like House music than Trance. However, if our colleagues psishock and Rakib think that it falls within the Trance formula then i shall change the genre label.

Used SIX VSTi's, 4 VST FX, and a few samples. Yjana did the drum programming, and Dustin played bass and helped with the bass programming, but this is one of the few truly collaborative pieces we've done (usually i have the song in my head and my band helps me realize it). We put our heads together at the same time and place to draw out the whole inspiration. There are not gonna be too many times when we can all (the members of Aeon) sit down together and actually create something in-studio (my living room!).

This one was inspired by the main sample (the full phrase is played at the end), which came from an old Windows 3.1/95 game. When we were almost done, i thought of a great sample that would work perfect here. It is the single most well-delivered word i've ever seen in any movie. (Bonus points to anyone who can name the movie and the actor that delivers it!) It was tough finding this sample, but thank God for the internet and weirdos who archive sound clips of movie lines! I did a little FX magic on the sample then plugged it in about halfway through this song.

The message: The idea was to tease the main female sample throughout the song, get "every1" hopping, dancing, and raving, feeling good about being alive and living in these prosperous and relatively peaceful times --then in the end judging them for their fornication and idolatry.

PURITANS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!!

Our Day shall come....
---Simple Minds

UPDATE: This song and its license is hereby transferred in whole to Tassel of Blue as of 4/25/9, who holds and may administer any rights and privileges to this song.

2nd UPDATE: This song can now be streamed/downloaded from TraxinSpace.com for registered users of that site.

uncloned

This has far more to it than the House I'm used to hearing being presented. This is listenable, likeable, and thank you for sharing.

The crowd crying "everyone" which I presume came from the female sample is quite the Tour De Force for using only VST effects! Very listenable chilled understated restrained interesting evolving and intelligent.

Quite nice :-)

(and you should lay off the talk radio for a while :P   )

Harbinger

To tell you the truth, i've never been in a night club and i don't normally listen to any EDM. The little exposure i've had to it was as a cab driver or TV.
Yjana however used to go to Raves all the time as a teenager, but none for many years. She loved the energetic dancing, but hated the rampant drug use. But she hasn't studied music as i have, so she doesn't know one genre from the other.

So i'm guessing when i label it as House. If anyone thinks it should be called anything other what i've labeled, advise me.

The "crowd" is actually caused by passing the sample thru the mda Re-Psycho VST. I finally found a use for it!

BTW, you of all the forum members, uncloned, might recognize the sample at 2:50. It's from an American movie --- have any idea?

sound of Jeopardy theme

uncloned

I hear something is there (now pointed out) but I don't recognize it. Sorry about that - it just sounds like really quiet voice split right and left - mostly right.

Sam_Zen

Nice piece. Thorough production.
The voice at 2:50 has a reversed hall imo, so is quite difficult to spot.

Screaming Egg Notion

Hmmm.. I wouldn't call this house as such... as house rarely strays from the 'four to the floor' kick pattern... slow the tempo down and this would be verging on chillout or maybe trip hop.. I cant really pin a genre on this as its quite unique...

very cool song... my only gripe would be that certain notes are played slightly too long (might be the delay) and it causes a little unwanted dissonance between transitions...

btw... what scale did you play this in if any?

Harbinger

Quote from: "Screaming Egg Notion"Hmmm.. I wouldn't call this house as such... as house rarely strays from the 'four to the floor' kick pattern... slow the tempo down and this would be verging on chillout or maybe trip hop.. I cant really pin a genre on this as its quite unique...

Thanks, Egg. It doesn't need to fit into a genre, but if there's a label that best fits the sound, then i'd use that. I admit it's a cross between Techno, Trance, and House. From what i understand, Acid House uses alot of spoken-word samples instead of actual lyrics, but the rest of the sonic progression may not fit the label...

Quote from: "Screaming Egg Notion"btw... what scale did you play this in if any?

You have asked the Secret Question! And now you win....

an answer...  :(

Actually this song was written ENTIRELY in the C whole tone scale (C-D-E-F#-G#-A#). The Western ear often wishes to go to a major or minor chord, but the whole tone scale never gratifies that desire. So i used "false dominant sevenths" (such as E-G#-D) to move the song, but i retained my own limitation throughout the song, not even acquiescing to a passing note that would consummate a major or minor chord. I enjoyed the challenge, as i've never been able to compose anything good with the whole tone scale. Dustin thought it was interesting and challenging as well, but he said coming up with and playing the bass line was easy.

Thanks for listening folks! Aeon is very proud of this piece, and we believe this one was/is marketable. But for you, absolutely free! :wink:

uncloned

I must say that's good for whole tone scale - being ambient-ish I didn't really give the scale much thought (as my ambient is anything goes).

Excellent composition chops there.

psishock

This is using the similar formula as Connection, as i can c. :D
Well "house" is ok genre for this, but i would add "progressive house" because its more deeper that the regular "dancy" ones. Also you don't use kickdrums, but a breakbeat like drumwork, so the full genre would sound something like "breakbeat progressive house" ::)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Harbinger

Well it's not a drum loop, and there's definitely a normal kick sample and pattern, so i wonder if "breakbeat" could be used with this one.

However, all those opposed?

The ayes have it: this shall be relabeled to "progressive house".

Thanks psishock. I hope you like the song. :wink:

psishock

QuoteI hope you like the song.
Why of course! Seems that i've forgot to mention, but i do like it Harbinger. :D I'm all ready for more pieces like these. The more melodic, the better.

Harbinger

I'm beginning to conclude that you are Aeon's biggest fan! (at least our EDM) :D

psishock

Well if i like what i'm hearing, i can't help myself. You guys have some very good pieces indeed. :)